Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

my freezer stopped working magic chef mccfw7

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Was it too hot to hold your hand on? If you have it unplugged now how long has it been unplugged?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

to hot to put your hand on i think the big roun thing is thr compressor right that is what i am talking about i had it unplugged since yesterday

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes thats it. Plug it in now and listen very closely to it. Did it start and run for a few seconds before it starts clicking?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i plug it in it hums for a short time clicks 4 or 5 times then trips out

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
If it does not try to run at all the compressor is bad. Its obviously getting electricity or it would not be hot. The reason I asked you to try and plug it in is because if there was a clog instead of a bad compressor it would run a few seconds and then build pressure because of the clog and shut down the click. Then click every time after that until the pressure dropped. I would not recommend repairing the freezer, the cost of repair will probably be more than the cost of a new one.

However if you do decide to repair be sure when you contact an appliance repair shop that they "DO have a coolant recovery license from the EPA". You definitely do want that.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

don t they have starting capacitors anymore

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Your model does not have one. Take a look on the tag where the model is if it says r134 you will not be able to install one but if it says r12 you could try, it may work. Let me know.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the ptc starter

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is one attached to the side of the compressor, that is working. That gives the compressor power, that is the humming you hear. Then the click you hear is the overload tripping due to an overcurrent draw from the motor in the compressor.

When you remove these parts they pull straight off the pins on your compressor leaving the pins arrowed in the picture of a compressor below.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here