Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

When I press the START (press and hold) button on our Whirlpool

When I press the START (press and hold) button on our Whirlpool Duet sport washer, the machine turns off. Any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the unit turns off as soon as you press the start button, this means that your motor control board has failed and will need to be replaced. The first thing the control board does is test the motor control board just to confirm that it's giving a signal and if it doesn't get that signal, it shuts the washer off immediately. The part costs about $200-250 so it's not a cheap part. And the board is mounted to the floor under the tub, but this is the part that will need to be replaced to fix the issue.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this something that the retailer, Lowes, would repair?

Unfortunately not. You'd need to order the part on-line or at a local appliance parts store if you know of one. If you have the model number you can order the part at or if you'd like.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you

no problem and I wish you only the best. I'm sorry about the bad news.