Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a model lat2500aae it has been a good machine for a

I have a model lat2500aae it has been a good machine for a long time but now it will not spin and when it tries it smokes the belt. It is hard to turn manually. I am a maintenance mechanic and can fix just about anything. Please give me some direction.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tip the washer backwards a bit so you can access under the bottom. Disconnect the two belts and there are 3 pulleys you need to turn. Turn all the pulleys both directions and tell me which one won't turn going one direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The big pulley in the center is very hard to turn clockwise.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so that's your transmission. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but order and replace the transmission to fix this issue, or make sure something isn't caught between the inner and outer basket. You need a specialty tool called a "spanner wrench" in order to remove the nut above the inner tub so that you can remove the inner tub to check for something stuck between the tubs. To access inside the washer, remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the front panel. The front panel will then hinge forward, up, and off. Then you can remove 2 bolts just around the front right and left corners holding the top panel to the side panels. The top panel will then hinge up and backwards. Now you have access to the tub so you can remove the top splash ringe, agitate or and nut over top the inner basket so that the basket will finally pull out.

If you don't find anything between the tubs, I'd just replace the washer myself because the transmission requires more specialty tools and will cost more than replacing the entire washer in the end.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.