Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a maytag MF F2557 HES model that has been unplugged

Customer Question

I have a maytag MF F2557 HES model that has been unplugged for a month. It has always been standing upright. We just plugged it back in last evening at 6:00 and set the temperature for 7 (coolest). It still is not cool. Is there a reset button or something else we need to do. It was working fine prior.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry, the freezer fan is blowing steadily. I cannot feel any frosty spot anywhere on the back wall. My problem is my husband just went out for awhile and there is no way I can get to the back of the unit without him.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thats ok, can you save this page to your favorites and when he gets home can you contact me?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I will do that. Thanks

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That would be great. I will be here all day long and until 9pm eastern time.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry,

My husband is home. We unplugged the unit, took the back panel off. Re-plugged. The fan is running and the compressor is warm. No w what.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
When you touched the compressor could you feel it vibrating lightly? Or was it warm and no vibration like it was not running?

Also do you have a volt meter?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Warm no vibration and yes we have a volt meter.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
On the side of the compressor are 2 wires. Make sure one has voltage. Set your meter above 120 volts ac and put one lead to a nice clean shiny ground and rotate through the wires. I think you will find votage and if you do the relay is bad.

Be sure to make a wire diagram or take a picture of where the wires go before you take them off. Or change the wires out one at a time. 67005560 is the part number you can shop with. One place that has that online is just below, there is a year warranty on the part and a no questions asked return policy.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/67005560/1159182?RCAID=1000064

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

And lastly if it happens you do not find voltage please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry there are 3 wires that go into the compressor one blue and two white.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes one is a jumper that goes over to the fan. That supplies power to the fan. That is probably going to be the hot one and the other will be neutral

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a black plug in that I think is the relay but it say capacitor on it. Is that the relay?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That is the capacitor. Put that back in and measure from the frame to the 2 connections one at a time with one lead on a clean frame ground and the other lead to where I have drawn the red arrows in the picture below. The fan should be running during the time of this measurement.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fan is running. Pulled off the connection to the capacitor. On the connection 120V on blue wire 0 on white wires.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Replace that part. You cannot get it without the capacitor, that comes with it. 67005560 is the part number you can shop with.

That should take care of it.
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Barry. We have ordered the part. Will be here on 9-6-12.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Wow, thats a long time. Thank you for the opportunity, you and your family have a nice weekend. If you get stuck or need to get in touch with me you can return right here for 30 days. My hours are 8 am to 8 pm eastern time. I always respond.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again. You and your family have a great weekend as well.

Claire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry,

Wanted you to know that we received the part yesterday and my husband put it on and it is working great. Thanks so much for all your help. I will certainly use this service in the future and recommend it to others.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I was glad to help. If you need me again its fairly easy to get in touch between 8am and 8pm eastern time.

Thank you,
Barry