Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Fridgidaire Refrigerator Model # XXXXX I cant

Customer Question

I have a Fridgidaire Refrigerator Model # XXXXX I can't get it t crush ice anymore. I've replaced the crusher assembly because the "flap" that that moves to the crushing knives had broken, still no crushing. Installed a new solenoid that activates the "flap" and still no crushing. Can you give me another solution?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Can you hear the solenoid activate when you press on the dispenser lever?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Did you replace the entire bin or just the flapper mechanism in it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not the whle bin, just the circular crusher assembly that contains the flapper. Item 13 if you have a picture of the ice maker

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
At the back of the ice container there is a little lever, that the solenoid acts on, does the flapper move when you move this lever?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does, when you move the lever down (counter clockwise) the lever moves up.

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
The opening to the solenoid, is it all the way down right now or up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is up

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Can you push it down and get it to stay down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, no resistance at all

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

With it in the down position, reinstall the bin and try the crushed ice, I think this will get you going...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Let me know if I am right or wrong????

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still just cubes. Does the lever go inside the plastic box on the solenoid accuator?

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Ray, the little rod is suppose to go into the plastic hole in the end of the soleniod...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know where that hole is. The solenoid plunger goes into a plastic slide that looks like is what the lever goes into

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

THis is the part that rod has to go into

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes that what I have it in

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Ray and when you ask for crushed ice that solenoid goes up correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just checked the solenoid doesnt move. I have an appointment I need to go to. How do I get back ahold of you?

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
I have to now also, I will be back on in about 2 hours, just post back and we will continue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Little more than two hours, but I'm back. I guess we've determined that the solenoid doesn't move. How do I check the power to the solenoid? I'm pretty sure that the leads to the solenoid are hooked up correctly, because of the shape of the spades.

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
If yo hook a vot meter and set it on 120 volts, when you call for ice it should show it as 120 volts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, I unhooked the shelf and physically watched the solenoid engage when I called for ice. So maybe its something in the knife assembly I'm missing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When the solenoid engages and lifts the lever, the flap moves away from the knives, when calling for cubes. The default position is the crush position with the flap up against the knives. I don't think the flap stays up against the knives when cubes come to the crusher, when wanting crushed ice. The solenoid doesn't hold the lever down.

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
The soleniod should rises when you have it on cube, so the problem is in the bin knives themself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got any suggestions?

Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
To be honest I never bother to try and repair the bins, I they are a pain to put together, I always replace the bins with new ones, in the long run it seems that you come out farther ahead and less aggrevation.