Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Our side by side refrigerator/freezer has stopped cooling.

Our side by side refrigerator/freezer has stopped cooling. The fan and internal light continue to work, but no cooling occurs. I cleaned the cooling coils. Does this sound like a compressor and what would that cost to replace?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is either the refrigerator or freezer cooling at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel on the back of the entire unit. Touch the big black round compressor and is it blazing hot? Warm? room temperature?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, it is room temperature

Is the fan next to the compressor running? And you say "no, it's room temperature"---are you talking about the compressor or the interior of the refrigerator. Because I'm asking about the compressor itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THe fan is not running. I was referring to the compressor being room temp. The refrig and freezer are also room temp.

OK so I'm confused. You said the fan was running before, but now you are saying the fan is NOT running?

Which fan is running exactly? The one inside the freezer?

And do you have a model number? It's located on a sticker up near the ceiling of the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, my original comment meant the fan inside the refrig is running.

OK do you have a model number so I can see what would stop both the condenser fan motor and the compressor? It should be located on a sticker up by the ceiling of the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX purchased 12/24/2000

OK perfect. So the refrigerator knows it needs to ool or the fan inside the freezer wouldn't be running. That means that your thermostats and fan inside the freezer are good. Unfortunately the only 1 part that can cause both the condenser fan motor and the compressor to not run is the main control board. If you pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel, there is a sheet metal box in the far back right corner with a control board down inside. This control board is the part you will need to order and replace to fix the issue. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know the approx cost of the control boards? Trying to make a replace the part vs buy new frig.

The part is about $250. I gave you a link to the part before which has the price on it as well as a place you can buy the part if you wanted to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it very difficult to replace the part? I'm not very handy with electrical repairs

I wouldn't say it's really hard, but it's not like putting legos together either. The wires are all plug and play which makes the replacement managable if you wanted to replace it yourself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Any special tools necessary?

no, no specialty tools are needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Received the part today and installed in about 15 minutes. Refrig is now working! Thanks.