Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My kitchen Aid dishwasher recently has not been cleaning the

Customer Question

My kitchen Aid dishwasher recently has not been cleaning the dishes Can you help diagnose the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning . can you get us the full model number so we can better assist you ? also start the machine and let it fill then open the door and tell me how much water in inches is in the bottom, does it reach the heater ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model # KUDS230Y2 have started the dishwasher it takes a while for the self heater to heat up before it begins to fill with water

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay come back when its full and tell me then, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay the wash cycle ran for about 2 minutes and there is no water in the machine

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay. its not getting water thats what I thought. two things this could be. one the float is stuck and not dropping down so the machine thinks its full, or two the water inlet valve is bad.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
usually its the valve itself, check and make sure the float is not stuck and moves up and down freely. if it does replace the valve. here a link to the valve. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/3372626/523827?modelNumber=KUDS230Y2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where is the float so I can check that first? Is there any way to check the inlet valve without a continuity tester?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the float is number 15 on this diagram.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
when you open the door its on the left side. the only way to test the water valve number 7 without a volt meter is to make a cord out of an old lamp cord with two 1/4" connectors on it and plug it into the valve then plug it in. if water comes into the machine the valve is good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I repaired a broken wire and the dishwasher filled up with water once but the second and third times i ran it there was no water Do you still think it is the inlet valve?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
where was the broken wire ? on the valve or float?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

IT WAS A BLACK WIRE ON THE RIGHT SIDE tHE WIRE NUT HAD FALLEN OFF AND THE WIRES SEPERATED i DO NOT KNOW IF IT
WAS CONNECTED TO THE INLET VALVE

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

what I would try is strip the wire back and reconnect it with nice clean wire. I think it may not be connect good enough, I don't think the valve would be the issue if this filled once but it could be. let me know if stripping them back to clean wire works.