stephenmichaelz
stephenmichaelz, Customer Care
Experience:  Appliance Technician
67810957

I have a Kenmore Elite washer model 22932100. It works fine

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite washer model 22932100. It works fine in all cycles except after the first pause cycle. Just after the washer fills up and it starts to actuate it will making a clicking sound that goes on for 2 minutes. It also will do this for a shorter time during this whole cycle. After this happens the washer works fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.

Does the model number have a 110. in front of the numbers you have given ?

And is the noise coming from the agitator area or under the unit?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it has a 110 in front of the numbers. It sounds like it is coming from under the unit.

does the unit spin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it spins

when it spins does it make the noise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Does the unit agitate during the wash cycle ?

And did this noise just start ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does agitate during the wash cycle. This has been going on for about 2 months.

it sounds as if you have either a pump going bad or something in the pump .

How handy are you ?

do you think you can remove the cabinet if I send you a video on how to remove it .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am an aircraft mechanic. I had the back off today and pulled the hoses off on the pump and spun the rubber fan. it did not seem like there was anything in there.

oh wow you went the hard way to the pump .

ok if you dod not hink there is anything in the pump .

is it back togeather now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah I figured thaat out after I had it off. Yes it is back together and I h
ave ran it through with a load of towels. Is it possible that the clutch is making the noise?

possible but the clutch turns the entire time the washer is running .

Do you feel like removing the cabinet and running it to be able to better pin point where the noise is coming from?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We just settled down for the evening. I can do it tomorrow though. Can you tell me how to pull the cabinet and how to contact you tomorrow?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so I have pulled the cover off. Jumped the lid switch and the clicking (or clanking) starts after the tank drains, pauses for a moment or two and then starts back up again. Looking at the dial it is a little over half way between pause and rinse. The sound seems to be coming from the clutch area but you can feel it and hear it in the pump area. The clicking goes for the whole cycle at this point. Also everything is thumping from the pump through the motor to the transmission area. You can see the hose going to the drain bouncing as well. The clicking also happens after the next drain, just not as long, since this seems to be a shorter cycle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so I have pulled the cover off. Jumped the lid switch and the clicking (or clacking) starts after the tank drains, pauses for a moment or two and then starts back up again. Looking at the dial it is a little over half way between pause and rinse. The sound seems to be coming from the clutch area but you can feel it and hear it in the pump area. The clicking goes for the whole cycle at this point. Also everything is thumping from the pump through the motor to the transmission area. You can see the hose going to the drain bouncing as well. The clicking also happens after the next drain, just not as long, since this seems to be a shorter cycle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The technician is helpful, but he has not been on line for two days and I still do not have an answer to my problem because we were still trying to troubleshoot the problem.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Your original technician is not available but I can help you in his absence. The third switch from the left is the cycle switch. With the machine off, turn that switch back and forth about 10 times and see if the machine will then spin. It sounds like the motor is trying to start on both windings. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have a problem with the agitator spinning, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying here. Everything works fine in all cycles other than this noise.I did rotate the rinse option switch as you mention but still have the clicking (clacking) and the thumping.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The switch should be the cycle switch that sets the motor speed, like Normal/Fast, Gentle/Slow, etc. I thought it was third from the left but could be wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I rotated the cycle switch but it still does the same thing.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Is the clicking only present during the spin cycle? If you select another spin speed, does it still click?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried it in Normal (slow/fast), Heavy (fast/fast), delicate (slow/slow) all with the same results. This starts a little more than half way between pause and rinse (closer to the rinse cycle) and it makes a slamming sound just before the clinking or clanking starts.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I am not familiar with this issue and cannot locate the wiring diagram to this machine. I will place your question at the top of the list for other techs to see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The slamming is more than likely the transmission kicking in which I think it has always done. It is a few moments before the clicking starts. The previous technician felt it might be the water pump.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You can remove the pump from the motor to isolate it. Just remove the clips that secure it and pull it from the motor shaft. Does the clicking stop once the tub gets up to speed, slowing just before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The clicking stops once the pump is through sending the rest of the water from the tub as the tub is spinning. It does not however slow down it is consistant all the way through the cycle.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Does the clicking totally go away if you remove the pump from the motor shaft? It will be a very easy way to wither prove or disprove the pump as faulty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you need to disconnect the hoses also?

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
No, just pull the pump off of the motor so it won't turn when the motor turns on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok with the pump off I can narrow it down that the clicking is coming from the front of the motor. Is it the motor itself or the switch on the front?

Expert:  stephenmichaelz replied 2 years ago.
Hi Im Steve,Thank you for choosing JA.i read back and it seems either a bad bearing in the motor or the drive coupling is bad,hopefully its the coupling which is cheaper and if you replace that and the noise persists the only thing left would either be the transmission or the motor you could do the same proceedure as he had you do with the pump,remove the 2 screws that hold the clamps on the motor and pop those clamps off.remove the motor. that should allow you to run the motor while it is off the unit(it will spin from the torque so hold it down somehow) see if that coupling on the other side is loose and stripping out.if it comes off the motor shaft easy replace it it is part# XXXXX the new one has metal inserts on it so it is sturdier.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok with the motor off when it starts the motor clicked once, then a second time, then it started turning with no clicking noise and ran fine all through the cycle.

after it clicks does it take a while before it will start again?if it does that is because its tripping the thermal fuse in it so because it eventually starts im going to say its a bad motor.you will need to replace that coupling too if you can remove it without a tool.if you can pullit off the shaft with yor hand replace it.sometimes like Smitty was telling you that speed switch can try to put it into 2 speeds at the same time and that can have the same symptoms but it wouldnt have eventually started it would just overheat the motor and keep failing.i will get you the info for the motor hold on please
Main drive motor

PART NUMBER:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

$168.98 im not a big fan of sears but it seems they have the best price this time go to partsdirect

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I have ordered a new motor, coupler and water pump (my choice on this one). Thanks for your assistance

ok i wish you best of luck with it,save this part...to install the coupling use a long 1/2 " socket over the metal part and a hammer to lign it up put the rubber middle part on the half that is on the tranny and leave one of the openings at 12 o clock then put the rubber motor mounts on the motor not the tranny.put the bottom clamp on only.lign the coupling on the motor to the 12 oclock position to mate with the rubber peice.once you get it ligned up you can angle it back enough to put the top clamp in and its easier to pick the motor up while clipping the top clamp on. if you dont do it this way its really hard to lign them up! good luck and if you need more instructions i will be available to help again!
stephenmichaelz, Customer Care
Experience: Appliance Technician
thank you for the rating and the generosity! I appreciate it! again,i am here if you need more assistance!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I replaced the motor as suggested, the coupler, and the pump. Still have the same clicking or (thumping/clanking if you want) at the same part of the wash cycle. I am just wondering could the condensor cause the motor to do this or do you think it is the transmission making the noise? To me it is strange that this does not happen in all of the wash cycles. Does the motor only engage during this time in the process?

i would say it has to be the transmission,clutch or brake assy now.the motor will reverse direction to agitate so let me look back on whats been covered now. give me a few
this is a tough call because if you dis assemble the drive assy you can only inspect it without running it,i have heard a tranny make that type of noise,the clutch and the brake assy too. i would like to read over the previous posts again to see whats been gone over. give me a few again please
ok it seems this only makes this clunk noise in agitate and if you were to put pressure on the basket in a counterclockwise way the noise will stop because there is a nylon fork that sticks down from the brake assy that catches the spring on the clutch releasing that brake to spin.the tourque of the agitator moves that fork off the spring in the clutch enough to be hitting it when it changes direction in the agitate. you wont be able to turn the basket in that direction only clockwise but the pressure should take up the slack stopping the noise.try it if it does stop then it could be you have a defective or missing part that fits on the transmission shaft under the agitator.i dont think that this noise is a threat to the operation of it.if you want to take the agitator assy off i can guide you.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
#6 and 14 in this diagram sits on the top of the transmission shaft under the agitator assy and the soul purpose of these 2 pieces are to keep that play your getting from happening because if it gets too much play it can snap that nylon finger on the brake assy right off when it starts to spin(so you should turn that basket counter clockwise till you feel it spin free after you test what i said on the previous post )btw that loud clunk you hear before it spins is normal there is called a "neutral drain in these units that allow the pump to drain before it spins. when the transmission changes direction from agitate to spin it goes into neutral to keep less stress on the motor and transmission and clutch, then after it drains there is a pause in the timer to allow the spin to kick in and clunk! then it spins.you have to grab the basket below the tub ring to spin it and at first you will be fighting the brake so it will be tight ar first dont slip if its wet you can cut yourself
i made a mistake last post! you will be turning the basket CLOCKWISE to release the brake sorry!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just out of curiousity I did take the agitator off this week and when I get to the plastic piece (6 & 14) it seemed a little loose to me. So are you suggesting to bring the washer to this point, just before it starts the clicking and push down on the agitator itself? Also how do you remove the plastic fork piece (6 & 14) that was the one thing I did not see a clear way to remove it.

those 2 pce just pull off the shaft by lifting them up. the c shape washer leans up against that pin sticking up and the pin on the other side fits in the gap on the spanner.no downward pressure,with it all assembled turn the basket counterclockwise slightly it wont spin but the force of the pressure should take up that slack and the noise should stop. if it does its not a big deal for the noise to be there. whats happening is the nylon finger under the unit between the tranny and the clutch is hitting the cluch when its agitating. its supposed to be stopped by those 2 pcs your talking about.kind of hard to explain but ill still help if you dont know what i mean. let me know
also keep in mind the ratcheting of the auger will make a noise too.are you familiar how that works?