Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Hello - Frigidaire gallery front load washer gltf530ds0- it

Hello - Frigidaire gallery front load washer gltf530ds0- it will pump water in and out, but it looks like when the drum tries to turn, it blows the breaker. Is it toast?

Randy 43 :

Hi, can you turn the drum by hand freely? with no resistance?

Customer:

Yes, it turns freely with no resistance.

Randy 43 :

does it blow the breaker right away ?

Randy 43 :

when it starts to wash? and rumbling or growling noises before the breaker issue?

Customer:

No, it waits about 3-5 seconds. Unless it's trying to turn the drum. It stopped/blew the breaker in the middle of a load of towels. If I set the dial to just after "final spin" in begins pumping water out, then it will turn an empty drum 4 or 5 times then blows the breaker again.

Customer:

No, no rumbling or growling noises that I'm aware of

Randy 43 :

I meant before the breaker issue , you didnt notice it was sounding like jet airplane in the spin cycle ?

Randy 43 :

how old is the washer?

Customer:

no, just asked the wife - no funny noises. It's about 7 yrs old

Randy 43 :

is your house fairly new ? older houses can have weaker breakers ,if the original breakers

Customer:

the house was built in 1974, but I had a separate circuit ran to the washer when I relocated it in the closet - where it is now.

Customer:

It's been there for 4 years now.

Customer:

I can get an extension cord from the garage and try a separate circuit if you think it would help.

Randy 43 :

from everything you say , i suspect a tight bearing on the motor , if the breaker is new , you can turn the drum freely ..yes you can try the extension to insure the breaker isnt weak ..but if all that is good ? i would suspect the motor as the problem

Customer:

ugh... ok. is it worth the trouble to replace the motor? or just replace the machine?

Randy 43 :

well, you can buy a brand new machine like that for $500-$700 ..a new motor and labour will probably run you $400 $500 ..? plus you gain 7 yrs on a new machine ..and to be honest with you ,they did have some bearing issues ..it may be worth while just buying new

Customer:

lol - could be why it was on clearance. :) Ok friend. Thank you for your time.

Randy 43 :

ok no problem ..good luck..check the breaker though..you dont wanna buy a new machine and have the same weak breaker

Customer:

ok - will do.