Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

We have a microwave Model 1750. It has power but will not

Customer Question

We have a microwave Model 1750. It has power but will not heat, we are in a remote area.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Hello. What is the full model number. The tag is inside the microwave on the internal cavity. What happens if you choose a cooking cycle, then hit start? Does the unit sound like it might be working ie, the fan works, the turn table rotates, the light comes on, but just no heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Answer to first question yes it runs, fan works, turntable rotates, and the light comes on just no heat.

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If all that works, this is telling me the low voltage side is good. If you don't hear any loud humming or groaning noise, I'd strongly suspect your magnetron is bad. It's very common with GE microwaves. With a full model number, I can look to see which exact product you have. It's probably something like JVM1750.... Are you able to provide that please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model # XXXXX Serial # 901340B

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you. The part marked 73 is your magnetron. This is the most likely problem. The OEM part WB27X10939 is around 140 bucks, the after market part TJ2M172J is around 65 bucks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

EXCELLENT

We are senior homeowners do you feel that we could replace the part ourselves? Does it need to be done by a professional?

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
I think if you have someone to help you support the microwave as you take it off the wall, you can do it. There are usually three screws in your cabinet. As you remove them, you'll want someone holding the bottom of the microwave by pushing UP. Then after you have all three screws out, you can pivot the microwave down and pull it off the bracket. Then it's just a matter of removing the screws on the outside of the outer cover, and usually a few underneath on the edges of the cover to gain access to the inside. I would have a table or counter space ready to do the work. It takes me about 40 minutes to do this, but I have a lot of experience. You'll want to allot yourself probably two hours. It's one of the most common issues on these microwaves. Best of luck to you. If you need the part, you can order it (use the OEM number and ask for substitute numbers, because there are a few) (NNN) NNN-NNNNfor parts.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

Register Here