Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

We have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. The clean light is blinking

Customer Question

We have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. The clean light is blinking and it will not run a wash cycle. We checked the water overfill float and it seams to be working fine. We also shut the breaker off for 15 minutes. Neither of these has corrected the problem. What else should we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 1 year ago.

gst85 :

HI there, what options do you have on your control panel, from left to right?

Customer:

cycles incl.

smart wash

pots pans

normal wash

china gentle

quick rinse

options incl.

turbo zone

hi temp wash

sani wash

heated dry

delay hours

gst85 :

Ok, just a minute please.

gst85 :

Close the dishwasher door. Push the "normal wash" button, then push the "heated dry" button. Push the "normal wash" button again, and push the "heated dry" button again.

Watch for all of the lights on your Kenmore dishwasher's panel to turn on and then turn off. The washer may start a new wash cycle at this point. this should reset the control board.

Customer:

pushing the normal wash button turned on both normal wash ans heated dry. pusing heated dry turn that light of but normal wash liht remained on. pushing normal again caused heated dry to light. clean loight continued to flash green throughout.

gst85 :

hold the cancle button for 3 seconds, tell me what it does then?

Customer:

normal wash light goes off

gst85 :

Now try a short wash cycle.

Customer:

sorry. what do you mean "short wash" cycle. that is not one of the options.

gst85 :

try using the machine now, tell me if it will run just fine or if it will stop.

Customer:

doesn't start. no change. clean light continmues to blink green.

gst85 :

Check that the door of the dishwasher is fully closed.

Customer:

yes, it is closed

gst85 :

Press the "Start/Resume" button to continue running a cycle. The dishwasher will start up again as long as the door is shut and the dishwasher is receiving power

Customer:

dishwasher has power. pressing start/resume causes red light to blink 3 times. green clean light continues to blink throughout.

gst85 :

Ok so what you are going to have is just a shortage on the control board.

Customer:

OK. what is the correction?

gst85 :

repalcing it will fix this issue, but i must tell you that it is going to cost about the half the cosr of of what the uni is worth.

gst85 :

About how old is this unit?

Customer:

could pulling the control board and cleaning fix?

what other manufacturer would you recommend to replace unit.

gst85 :

you can open the control board and disconnect the wires going to it then replug then hopefully that will reset the board. i would go with maytag or even GE. they are not so expensive makes but very reliable.

Customer:

separate electric circuit. why wouldn't throwing breaker do that

gst85 :

You can check for loose connection or even burnt contacts on the board.

Customer:

doesn't sound as though there is much hope, short of replacement.

gst85 :

You can order part online at www.repairclinic.com or at your local appliance parts dealer.

gst85 :

diagrams will be available at www.searspartsdirect.com.

Customer:

before purchasin, any chance it is something else

gst85 :

Yes also check the door switch, make sure that it is making good contact.

Customer:

door seems to latch fine. don't know about the switch

gst85 :

If the green light comes on then that usually means that your door is not closing properly. but since you stated that it seems fine then i would check the connections to the control board.

Customer:

not certain i am following the logic on this. you had me go through various tries with cycles and options and suggested replacing the control board. is the door switch and integral part of the control board or is it separate. replacing the control board if the door switch is faulty and not an integral part of the control board wouldn't seem to resolve thew problem

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Juan. My name isXXXXX'm another expert on here. Please let me try to help. If the clean light is flashing seven times, followed by a short pause, seven times, etc..., it generally means the dishwasher has not detected a 2 to 4 degree rise in a thermal hold in the prior cycle. You must do this key dance IN ORDER and WITHIN SIX seconds. Hi temp wash, heated dry, hi temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry. All the LEDS should come on. If they do, allow the dishwasher to complete this diagnostic cycle. If you can't get it in to this test cycle, try a few more times following my directions EXACTLY. Let me know your results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. tried the sequence as noted. all LEDs cam on. then started a quick rinse cycle then a normal wash cycle then a normal cycle again. unit has now shut off. clean light is no longer on.

Now what?

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Good, that means that you've unlocked it. 90 % of the time that error is a fluke.

I would like you to run a normal wash cycle. If the error does not come back, that means it was a fluke. If it does come back, it means we need to find why the dishwasher is not detecting the temperature rise. There are 5 or 6 things that can cause that. Run your cycle first, we'll address other troubleshooting steps if your problem returns after your cycle is through ok? All you need to do is come back to this question and it's free to do so. Please remember, any rating you give will now reflect on me, so please disregard the previous expert in your rating of my service to you. Thanks Juan, and I look forward to hearing some good news. If it fails, we'll start troubleshooting then ok?

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We ran a normal cycle. Error has come back, i.e. clean light 7 blinking green, pause and repeats

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Repeat the steps I provided to clear it. Push the buttons and let it do its little five minute cycle. Then fill it up on normal again. Once it is washing a few minutes, open the door looking to see if any water is spraying inside. It should be forceful and you should get spritzed a little. Want to ensure this is occurring. If the water is not spraying forcefully, it will not heat right. Let me know what you find with that first. We'll go from there. We are now troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

water is spraying. now what?

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Spraying hard and forcefully??? Or just barely coming out of the lower spray arm? If its spraying hard, next step is to test the heater for 10 to 50 ohms resistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how?

Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Pull the dishwasher, heater wires usually red and white. Remove wires and test with a multimeter.