Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

Hi, I have a problem with the top oven of my GE dual oven,

Hi, I have a problem with the top oven of my GE dual oven, model number jkp38g0j3bg.

If I turn it to Bake, the indicator light flashes on for a second, but then right back off. But the bottom burner turns on and gets hot. If I turn it to Rotisserie or Broil, the indicator light comes on and stays on, as though it were working. But it’s not. The top burner never gets hot.

I’ve tested the continuity of both burners and they seem fine. I even switched out the burners from the bottom oven and the top oven and it made no difference. I’ve also tested the terminals that connect to the burners… If turned to Bake, the terminals on the bottom get electric (which makes sense since the bottom burner will get hot). If turned to Rotisserie, the terminals on the top get electricity, but if turned to Broil, they don’t.

What could it be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay so all this top and bottom you are talking about are you referring to the burners in the top oven or you talking about top and bottom oven? Sorry, just trying to make sure I am straight.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem is relegated only to my top oven. So my description of the problem is in relation to my top oven.

As a test, I swaped out both the top and bottom burners from my bottom oven and put them in my top oven, but it did not change the symptoms, so I put them back. The bottom oven works fine.

That help?

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay good and sorry for me being so slow. You problem is your oven selector switch that switches between broil and bake. There are separate circuits in the switch to send power to the proper element when selected. Now, here is where the problem lies; the switch is no longer available and there is no source for the part. Now, you can call GE with the model number at 1-877-959-8688 and see if they have a source for the part and pricing. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey Randy,

Thanks for your help so far.

Can you be more specific about exactly which part is faulty? Is it this WB22X5143? The diagram can be found at http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Wall-oven-Parts/Model-JKP38G0J3/0432/0125300/00044185/00001

If that's the case, I've found at least one place on the internet that claims to have it in stock: http://www.a-1appliance.com/product/WB22X5143-SWITCH-OVEN

Would that be an easy part to replace for a DIYer?

How confident are you that this is the problem?

Thanks again.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is the part I am talking about and that is a good price for the part. Also, the only other part it could remotely be is the thermostat switch but if that was bad it would affect both the bake and broil and you would get no power to either element as the thermostat controls when the power turns on and off to the selected element. If you have already switched out the burners with no problem then you won't have a problem replacing the switch just be sure you mark or write down which wire goes to where. The switch is held in just by 2 screws in the front. You can do it with no problem. Great job on finding the part and again I thank you for your time and patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey Randy,

Thanks for everything so far. I was able to find that part for an even better price. I just ordered it tonight. I'll hop back on after I install it and let you know how it went (and to rate you). I promise I won't forget.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
You are so welcome and will be waiting to hear from you. Thank you and great job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well that part is as elusive as you suggested. I found three places online that all claimed to have it, but reversed course once I ordered it. Nor can I find it locally. So I guess I'm out of luck? Replace the whole oven (or live with a single oven)?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the bad news and unfortunately there are those whose say they have the part but once you call to order or such low and behold it is no longer available. Again I suggest you call GE at 1-877-959-8688 and see if they know of any substitute or someone who has the part. Thank you for getting back to me and again I sorry about the run around.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.