Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

My friend has a built-in GE Profile double microwave/convection

My friend has a built-in GE Profile double microwave/convection oven and the oven and the door does not close all the wayI took the door aprt and actuall removed it from the oven. The springs seem like they have enough tension but will nto close. I can push it closed but it will open back up about two inches. When the oven is put in the self clean mode and pushed close the latch will close the door and lock it until you cancel the cleaning mode. I am puzzled why the springs will not drw the door up tight when it is closed. Help if you can. Thansk
Welcome..I have 23 years of Experience In the Appliance Repair Field..Working directly with All Major Appliance Brands..When you close the door all the way how far out does the door open by itself....?
Can you tell we how far the door opens by itself after being closed shut..? Thank You
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It opens about 2" Far enough so it will not engage the button so the light turns off

Ok great..I see by your post that you looked at the hinges..Even tho the hinges seem ok..The spring tension on the hinges is lost..To fix this problem you will have to replace the hinges
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With the problem I had getting the hinges into the oven how much trouble is it to replace the hinges? Do I need a special tool?

You will not need a special tool..Do you have the exact model number of the unit..?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need to get the model # It is a 30" GE Profile double microwave/convection oven.

Yes it would be best to have the exact model number..I will be here tomorrow ..You can post the model number here ..Once i get it..i will post back to you..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model # was almost worn off but have checked with the GE store and think I have the right one. It is JT65SOK388