Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

Sub zero 700 TCI refrigerator cabinet two freezer drawers.

Customer Question

Sub zero 700 TCI refrigerator cabinet two freezer drawers. Noticed cabinet and drawers were at 54 and 40. No flashing service warnings on LCD display. Tried to reset by pressing Zone plus cooler. Didn't work. Shut off master switch turned back on after 30 seconds. Still no cooling. Tried master switch again. This time unit started, ran for a few seconds,shut down. Would start if I quickly turned switch on and off and on half a dozen times. But no cooling. Brushed and vacuumed condenser. Unit started,but no cooling. Turned unit off for 24 hours. Unit started,slowly cooled,ice maker began to work. Unit worked for six hours then started to warm again. Shut master switch, restarted, unit returned to set temperatureos of 38 for cabinet 5 for upper lower freezer drawers. Has been working normally now for four hours,but I worry that unit is erratic and will stop again. Unit is 12 years old. What should I be checking. Is it possible to rebuild unit with new major parts? It is built in with cabinets and I would like to save it. Thanks for the hand
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Justin. I will work hard to help you solve your problem, start to finish. As we move forward with your problem, please remember to provide positive feedback after you accept my answer. You will still receive additional assistance at NO EXTRA CHARGE should you require it. Now, let's get started shall we... When you say you turned unit on and it started cooling, then stopped, did you notice if the freezer compressor was still running? And, it cooled to 5 degrees in the freezer at that point? From what you're saying, it sounds like possibly the compressor is not running after awhile. This could signify a failing control board relay. The fact that the unit is capable of cooling to 5 degrees leads me to believe you probably don't have a refrigeration leak. What you'll need to do is remove the compressor relay cover on the freezer compressor. If/when it does fail again, we'll need to check the compressor to see if it is running by placing your hand on top of it. If it is not and/ or it is very hot, we need to verify 120 volts to the compressor then. Based on your description, you either have a failing control board, or the compressor relay/ overload is giving you issues. With no error codes, I'm suspecting a control board issue. The fact is, it almost has to fail in order to take voltage readings to see where the failure might be. My advice, let it plugged in, DO NOT cycle the power if it fails. I'd advise you to have your freezer clear of food at this point. When/if it fails, come back to this question right away so we can take some voltage readings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Justin, did you just get my follow up reply? Not sure I sent it the right way. The charge isn't fifty bucks every time I ask a follow up question, is it? Tom mathews,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yikes, I'm afraid I sent the follow up as if it was an original question. The follow up form confused me. Is there any way to check so I don't get double billed? Sorry for the panic. Tom,Hi Justin, did you just get my follow up reply? Not sure I sent it the right way. The charge isn't fifty bucks every time I ask a follow up question, is it? Tom mathews,
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
As long as you reply here, you aren't charged again. Don't worry, if you were, we can get that refunded. No I did not receive your follow up. Please reply here and I'll get it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Justin,
The follow up was as follows: A plus answer. Where do I file feedback? Couple small follow ups. If the problem is the control board or compressor overload setup are those parts I could order and install myself or have my plumber electrician do it.? What parts would I need? What' s your advice on rebuilding the unit with a new compressor, motor, fan etc. what's parts would I need for that project. The unit is built into some nice cabinet work that I'd like to save. I live 75 miles away from the nearest subzero service guy, it costs hundreds of bucks just to get him out here for a look, and I'm wondering whether it might make better economic sense to have him do one big job rather tha two or three little ones. Tom
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Yes all parts are available. The compressor replacement is only necessary if it's bad. I'd recommend having this fail again first so we can work through some troubleshooting. The problem could be as simple as a thermistor replacement or control board. It's hard to say which part is giving you the issue without having the product in its failed state. An electrician probably could take some voltage readings if need be, but to be honest he may not be willing to replace any parts. I know some of these actually had thermistors with quick disconnects that would corrode. That's a simple repair. First thing is first. Contact me as soon as the failure occurs. Have a meter handy if you have one. Then we can work this out together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Justin. I will stay in touch. My rating is the top of excellent. Is it enough to just say that here or do I need to file the rating somewhere else? It's confusing because the website says filing the rating closes the question. Tom
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.

Here's how it works Tom. I have two buttons I may push when I reply to you. One is a "Need Info" button and I reply with that while we are trying to determine your problem and help you through to a solution.

Once I'm satisfied I've helped you solve your issue, I respond by pressing the "Answer" button. It is then that you may give me a rating. HOWEVER, and I stress... If I do answer the question using the answer button, and you do rate me, it DOES NOT close the question. You may come back to this question at any time for more assistance. I haven't sent the response and clicked the answer button yet, because I'm trying to wait for another failure to occur with your refrigerator so we can work through some troubleshooting steps. Does this clear it up for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All is clear. Thanks a million. Standing by. Tom
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
Just let me know if it stops cooling again. We'll go from there Tom.
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard from you. Am I to assume the unit has stayed cooling? Let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Justin,
The unit is still working. Don't want to hang you up. You are more than entitled to the $50 fee. You were EXCELLENT every step of the way. Could I ask two final questions? Is it possibile that more regular defrosting would help? Is it possible that the floor grill protecting the condenser was cutting off the air flow. My wife had unscrewed it and it was just propped up down there. If the air is restricted to the condenser does that set off an overload and a shut down? If the unit crashes a week from now is there any way I can get in touch with you directly so I don't have to start from scratch with a stranger? Meantime, thanks a mllion and just let me know where I needt go go to log your rating. Tom,
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

You shouldn't need to defrost the freezer, as this unit is self defrosting. If it does end up needing defrosted, that suggests a problem in the defrost circuit. Defrost should occur every 8 - 12 hours. If it does not, the freezer evaporator will clog with frost and you'll get high temps. So watch for that.

As far as the grille just being propped on, that shouldn't cause an issue. What would though is if the condenser coil was all clogged up with hair/dust/lint. Then you'd get overheating compressor possibly. If you need more help in a week or two, just come back to this question. DO NOT open a new one. The return is free.

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Justin, thought I had filed the rating yesterday but must have put it in the wrong place. Sorry for the delay. Thanks again, Tom
Expert:  Justin replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Thank you