Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a model # XXXXX Frig that was working fine and

I have a model # XXXXX Frig that was working fine and just started tripping the GFI. If i let it sit then plug it in the light will come on and after awhile will cool down but trip the GFI again. Does this sound like a common part failure and what would that part be. Thanks for the help.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I was still waiting on an answer. I am not sure why it went to the RV dept. as this is a regular house frig but as long as we can fix it I'm good. Thanks

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

The issue is the GFI itself, or I should say a refrigerator is not made to be run off a GFI breaker. This may have worked okay for a while but because these draw so many amps when starting and running this weakens the GFI breaker and this will start tripping what you need to do is get this off the GFI . try it in another plug if you need to use an extension cord to do that make sure it's an appliance extension cord and not one of the small extension cords , it must be an appliance cord , running a refrigerator on a running a refrigerator on a GFI i is bad in two ways. One it weakens the GFI and two it can damage the refrigerator compressor , I hope this information is useful,the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.