Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

neptune.maytag.com our Maytag Neptune washer is making a rattling

neptune.maytag.com
our Maytag Neptune washer is making a rattling tin noice. Can you halp us what to do about it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the full model number so we can better assist you ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model # XXXXX

Serial # XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay perfect. Now does this make the rattling noise when it's draining? Does it sound like something maybe stuck in the drain pump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It makes the noise while it is running ( washing and spinning)

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay doesn't get louder in spin? Can you reach in and move the inner drum(the stainless one) . Try moving in and out, does it move in and out? How about side to side and up and down? What I'm trying to get at is we need to see if it's a bearing problem. Can you do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The drum does not move in and out or side to side like it is loose. When it does not operate it does not make a noise (filling with water). It does not sound like a ball bearing going bad - more like something is loose. When I hold the side of the washer the noice is less.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay . my general feeling on this is you have something such as a coin or paper clip or something like that in your drain pump assembly. Or the impeller inside the pump assembly is bad, these will vibrate and make the side vibrate also so when you hold the side it may sound a little quieter but the issue is going to be in the pump assembly. We have run into this many many times, although I can't be 100% sure you take a look at the pump, you need to open up the machine to check the pump, on this diagram you can see the front panel. It's like a U-shaped panel number 15 on this diagram. Remove the screws in the hinges on the door and the ones across from them also and pull out at the top of the panel, remove the panel and then the hoses on the pump and remove the pump. check it for a loose impeller or something in the pump. let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This machine is not user friendly for a lay person to open up any further than we did. We will need a service call to Sears.

I certainly will let you know after Sears mechanic was here what the problem was.

Thank you for trying to help .Wink

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We just want this one time to pay the $30 not - a monthly fee of $30 on our credit card.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well wishes and good luck, have a great night ! the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WinkWinkWink

The technichichan from Sears was here. Everything is ok and the sound supposedly is coming from the pump but according to him, it is not an unusual noice.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SmileSmileWinkWinkWink

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats what I thought. I'm glad you got it figured out , thanks and have a great day, Smile Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.