Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have recently purchased a refrigerator door gasket for an

Customer Question

I have recently purchased a refrigerator door gasket for an Amana TZ21Q2W. The gasket went in without issue, but in attaching it, the door "warped" so it would not close completely. The warpage prevented the bottom right corner from closing. I have eased off all the screws on door/gasket but the bottom right corner continues to not close completely. The gasket seems to fit correctly though clearly there is warpage no matter which screw(s) I tighten. Handle is on right side. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

this is common on these. these are usually folded in a box when ship. the best way to install one is to take it out of the box and soak it in warm water until this becomes very pliable . since you already installed this the best way to go about it at this point is take a hair dryer and warm up the gasket all the way around pulling the gasket out where it needs to be further or pushing in where it does not need to come out some to touch the refrigerator section , warming this up will make the gasket pliable and you will be able to manipulate the gasket so it sits correctly and seals all the way around , these are a pain when they fold them up in a box . even when they're not folded in a box they are stiff and not very pliable so warming it up will help you get the gasket to seal correctly .hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try removing the gasket and soaking it in hot water tonight. But I'm doubtful that this will resolve the situation. The closest I've been able to close the the gap at the bottom right corner is down to 3/4" (sometimes it's well over an inch off) and I don't think the gasket will expand this much. It's clearly squeezed very tight along the top and upper left side of the door.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. I will respond back to you after re-attempting installation with a good hot water gasket bath and will rate you at that time.

Thanks for the input.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes that does sound like a worse issue than I thought that's quite a ways, it's possible you door is warped, the only way to straighten the door is to remove the gasket and the entire interlining with the shelves in all and twist the door until you get it even all the way around the spacing. We've had this issue in the past sometimes these doors will warp you cannot do it with that plastic interlining in place though because you will crack it, if you cannot get the gasket to sit correctly try twisting the door with a liner off by putting your knee against it or your leg at the bottom and pulling out the top or which ever way you need to adjust it, let me know I'll be glad to try and help more tonight. But I believe you're right if that is out by almost an inch that's way too much for the gasket to cover so you may need to twist the door itself to get it back into at least a shape that's more square with the refrigerator when it closes. Keep in touch and let me know, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bryan,

I am sorry to be responding so late, but I've been away from home. The refrigerator gasket is still separated from the base of the door, below the handle and at the base for about 3-4 inches. I've tried heat (blow dryer), warm water bath, and rescrewing the door insert to make sure I'm not over torqueing the door. I can push the base of the door in and get the gasket to catch, spread out, and stay in place. But without the extra coercion, it gaps about 1/2 inch. The underside of the gasket is tight. I've tried taping it closed tight for several days in hopes of taking the warp out of the door or gasket, but this was unsuccessful.

Any other ideas?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Not that I can think of short of replacing the door. it has to be bent or twisted in some way. I'm not sure to be honest. maybe its time to call a tech to see what he can do, its difficult on line to see whats going on. sorry.