Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an Amana DRS2662a side by side with a water and ice

I have an Amana DRS2662a side by side with a water and ice dispenser on the door. The freezer was defrostong and I cleaned the coils and the rear fan. It then started freezing and majing ice again. A few days later, it was defrostong again and the ice in the bin melting. The water would drip down and make big icecles hanging on the front of the baskets / shelves. What should I do next?

Thanks so much!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the back of the refrigerator when this happens ? also when this happens does the refrigerator go completely silent no fans running or anything just the lights inside working ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are no unusual sounds. No clicking or buzzing from the back. The fan is working.

Okay so the whole refrigerator gets warm also? Can you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and feel the compressor in the back? Is it hot, warm, or cold? Is it vibrating like it's running? When you open the freezer do you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no frost on the ack wall of the freezer behind the food. Also, there is no hot spot on the rear of the unit. The refrigerator side is getting warm as well as you mentioned.

Okay this is the compressor, it's in the rear of the refrigerator behind the cardboard cover or it could be metal on yours at the bottom back of the refrigerator if you move away from the wall, you can't tell if this is vibrating or not?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the cardboard. The compresser is warm and vibrating.

Okay that's good, it gets a little tougher from here, this seems to be an intermittent problem which makes it hard to tell what the issue could be, you may have a bad cold control, a bad defrost timer, or this could be low on Freon. The best way to tell whether it's a Freon issue is to remove the back panel inside the freezer behind the food and take a look at the evaporator coils, you need to see whether these are frosted lightly across all the coils or only one section of the coils are frosted or if the coils are really clogged with Frost. Also is the fan next to the compressor running? In the back of the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The fan is running and the grate in front of it was cleaned last week.

The coils behind the freezer are evenly lightly frosted.

Okay this means is one of the two issues I mentioned, either the cold control is bad which is the part you turn to set the temperature, sometimes these will have a bad contact inside and do not start the compressor when needed, of course right now it's running so it's very difficult to say, there is no clear way to test this unless you catch the refrigerator not cooling and try jiggling the knob to see whether it starts, the other thing I mentioned was the defrost timer which is most likely the cause, these are a little clock inside and if it is running too slow or stopping in the defrost cycle than the refrigerator and freezer will warm up because the compressor is not running, this is the defrost timer, I would replace this first, you can order this at the following link, if this does not take care of the problem then you can replace the cold control, which is about $61 compared to around $24 for the other part, here's a link to that also. hopefully the timer takes care of it. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help. It sounds like i need to call in the tech, as I do not trust myself to fix much of anything. The key is that I do not think that i have to shop for a new refrigerator today.

I appreciate your help!

No you will not need a new refrigerator, it's definitely an electrical issue that can be solved relatively cheaply, like I said the biggest problem is its intermittent so it's really difficult to say which piece is bad but it is fixable and at a very reasonable price. Probably under $120 total with the labor. Thanks and have a great day, Bryan