Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Maytag washer, Neptune, Model #MAH5500BWW front load is

My Maytag washer, Neptune, Model #MAH5500BWW front load is running what seams to be its normal cycle. However the clothes come out barely wet, as if it is only getting a fraction of it normal water. It shows what appears to be a code "Lr". What could this be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Give me a few minutes to pull up your service tech sheets. this will take a few minutes. thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I am still here. Wasn't sure if I needed to reply after you said you needed to pull tech sheets.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay the Lr means locked rotor, this issue occurs due to locked rotors, you'll need to replace your motor and motor control board. These are sold as one unit, it is a 3 phase motor and one of the phases is bad. A little power surge can damage the boards

if you really like this machine its worth the $182.00 for the parts. these machines however have a lot of issues and you may end up fixing something major in this down the road again , if you wish to replace this here is a link we can order the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/12002039/949491?modelNumber=MAH5500BWW?RCAID=1000065 hope this helps. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So the $182 is just for the parts? How difficult is it to put on. We do hate this machine as you may have guessed. It smells and does not do a good job. Lastly, what new washer would you suggest in the $700/$800 range?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
there are a lot of good machines out there for that kind of money. I recommend whirlpool duet if you want to stay with a front type loader. They are good machines and don't have as many problems as say the Samsung or maytags made today, that's what I use and it's a great machine, the only thing you really have to do on them is make sure you clean the pump trap once in a while and keep it clean, that would be my suggestion. The rear bearings in the Neptune's eventually go and that's a huge job and that's probably what's coming up next on yours, the price I gave you was just for the parts you could probably do it yourself if you wanted to it does come with instructions. Thanks and best wishes,, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last question, another site said there are "several" things that could throw that code. But their answer was more generic, other than possibly a spin bearing. Is that the same as the motor as you said. Their other answers were overloaded and too much soap, both of which I know is not it. And if you are confident that more trouble is coming, then I will junk it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Well yes the spin bearing can cause this issue by stopping the drum from turning which essentially can stop the motor and throw that code but either way the Bering is even more money because you have to replace the whole rear tub assembly and if the tub spins freely by hand it's not the Bearing, and yes these things are really prone to issues the older they get. I never did like these machines and they had so many recalls on them at the beginning and one of the recalls actually was that motor and motor control assembly. Of course I'm not sure how old yours is and whether it's ever been done on your machine but they did have a recall on those at one time. I hope my information is useful and to be honest spending a lot of money on this machine doesn't it make good sense, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.