Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i have a ge above range microwave. it runs but has stopped

i have a ge above range microwave. it runs but has stopped heating

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the full model number from inside on the tag ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi the model number is XXXXX and its a ge. that's all the info i have. it's my moms & i'm not there. just trying to find out if we should replace or is it a quick fix.

thanks, arlene

Okay perfect.if everything seems to be running as normal (fans lights, control) the magnetron has failed. this would absolutely need to be replaced by a tech . these are dangerous to replace. the high voltage capacitor stores a lethal amount of voltage even when this is unplugged. be safe. either replace the microwave or have a tech replace the magnetron. the magnetron runs around $120.00 plus the labor so you should weigh the options at this point. its probably better to replace the microwave. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan