Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model 52542 that is leaking water

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model 52542 that is leaking water into the ice bin when refilling the ice tray. I verified that the fridge is level. It is 11 years young and this is the first time I had a problem with it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get me the full model number off the tag inside the refrigerator section ? it will start with a 3 number prefix like 110,106,665, or some other combo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryan, The model# XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, is the water dripping steady ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only when it refills the ice cube tray.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. whats going on is the valve is taking to long to close after this fills. they have a new valve setup for this issue. you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/W10408179/1938614?modelNumber=106.52542101?RCAID=1000065 hope this helps, it comes with instructions. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To install the above inlet valve do I need to remove the ice maker and does it include complete instructions?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no the valve is located in the back of the refrigerator where the water line from the house connects. its all done through the back. just pull the refrigerator away from the wall and follow the line.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, are you still there?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but I have another question. My owners manual says there is a adjustment water screw on the side of the motor. Is it possible this is the problem?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the adjustment (unless someone played with it) rarely ever goes out of adjustment.these are very very sensitive adjustment. a very small turn is all you can try if you wish but be extremely careful because these break easy. you can try very tiny adjustment but don't go to far. its a small plastic screw on the right side you can see it on the left in this picture. of the ice maker module. be careful you can make this much worse.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nobody has worked on the ice maker since it was new. Do you think I should just replace the inlet valve so I don't cause any more problems? If you think i should check it to get to the screw does the water adjustment knob and cover just snap off

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the cover just pops off and you will see the adjustment screw. I don't usually recommend doing adjustment but it may work in your case . the problem is you would have to turn it just a little (like 1/16 of a turn) and then wait until the ice maker cycles and refills to see if it works. Its possible it will work I cant be sure. we never really have to adjust these. I wouldn't go more than 1/16 of a turn though, just a bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to thank you again for all your help and will let you know what worked.

Register Here
Tom

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome , thanks and best wishes, Bryan