Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

buzzer will not turn off after pressing alarm reset on my frigidaire

buzzer will not turn off after pressing alarm reset on my frigidaire 20.5 cu ft upright freezer. the temp is at 4 and all lights are now off (like hi temp and door ajar)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have the full model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model number is: FFU21F5HW
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , you say all the lights are now off, this usually has the temp showing in the digital display correct ? is that no longer showing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the temp is at 4 and still showing
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. is the temp inside the freezer at 4 ? have you tested it with a thermometer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a thermometer to test the temp inside; however, it does not seem to be at a 4 level. It may not have had time to cool down from the time that I closed the door which was ajar until now!
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , what I would do is make sure the door is shut tight and wait about 2-3 hours and see if this freezer stabilizes.if the door was ajar for a period of time this can cause the temp to rise enough to set of the alarm. before replacing anything try waiting.make sure there no frost around the door preventing this from sealing tightly . I'll be here all day so you can let me know if it doesn't stop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the repair booklet or manual, it said that the buzzer would go off if the alarm reset button was pushed. I did that. It also said that the buzzer would stop after 5 minutes. it has never stopped and I have been at this for over an hour. Are you saying that it will go off after the inside temp goes down to the 4 level?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well if the temp is above the 4 degrees you have this set for the alarm will sound telling you its under temp. you may also have a bad thermistor. the thermistor is what senses the temp. but since you say the door was ajar I was going to have you wait and see if it stabilized before tell you to replace the sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the sensor may be bad; however, how do you stop the buzzer from continuing to sound which is my original question, especially when the manual says that to push the alarm reset will turn the sound off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well if the sensor is bad the alarm wont shut off. it will keep sensing the temp is wrong and keep warning you so you don't loose your food.unfortunately if it wont stay reset and the temp is correct theres nothing short of changing the sensor that will stop the alarm I don't believe. Give me a few minutes I just pulled up the service tech sheets on this. let me see if theres a reset sequence for this. I'll be back in a bit.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay lets try diagnostics, do this.

Section 3 Electronic Control

3-2

Service Diagnostic Mode

Initiate Service Mode

To enter the Service Mode, lock the keyboard then press and hold the up arrow and the down arrow for three

seconds (until the display changes to "8").

When the diagnostics mode is entered, the compressor is turned off and the digit "8" is displayed for three seconds.

After three seconds, the sequential information below will be displayed.

1. Blank for 0.5 seconds

2. Model ID for 1 second (See Table)

3. Blank for 0.5 seconds

4. Software Version and LED test for 3 seconds.

a. Hi Temp LED illuminates during display of 1st digit of

the version number for one second,

b. Door Ajar LED illuminates during display of 2nd digit of the version number for one second.

c. Both LED's illuminate during display of 3rd digit of the version number for one second.

5. Blank for 0.5 seconds

6. Thermistor status ("0" for open, "C" for close or "-" for good thermistor) for three seconds.

7. 10 seconds for power check. During this time each key activates a specific load.

a.

UP key activates the compressor and lowercase "c" is displayed.

b.

DOWN key activates defrost heater and lowercase "d" is displayed

8.

MUTE key activates the light and an "L" is displayed. 10 seconds after the last key press, the system

will exit the diagnostic mode, automatically assuming the default temperature setting. If required, the

compressor restarts after 13 minutes.

Error Modes

If the thermistor is open, the display will alternate between "E" and "9".

If the thermistor is shorted, the display will alternate between "E" and "8".

If a key is stuck for more than 30 seconds, the display will alternate between "E" and "7".

tell me if any failure codes come up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is quite a list, and after i start the process do i do anything or does the process go from one step to the other? I believe the machine will go back to where it starts automatically? will I cause the freezer to stop its freezing in any way---I am concerned about the food in there now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well the food will be fine. it takes way over 24 hours for the food to defrost if its still frozen. this should run through the diagnostics by itself and show any failure at the end.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did as told. locked the board, held the up and down for 3 seconds. the sound stopped and the display went back to 4 without doing anything else. All is quiet and i am afraid the compressor is not on to keep the temp at a 4 level or moving down to that. what is the next step?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the compressor will start automatically after 13 minutes, did this go through the diagnostic or just reset ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did hit an 8, however after that it just went to 4 and I did not see any of the other steps outlined. it is still. quiet in every way now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay wait for about 10 more minutes and see if this restarts and the beeping is gone. let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just as you replied the noise started again. the 4 is displayed. there is no beeping just a continual buzzing as before.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing the continual buzzing is the alarm again ? are you sure its the alarm buzzing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i assume it is the alarm buzzing for it was doing this when the door was ajar. now as I write you the buzzing stopped, I hear a pop on occasion and the 4 is still in the window.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay its sounds like it reset, the pop is just the freon going through the system. you should be all set now. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the help. I still hear a pop or hit every now and then, but the noise is gone and everything is quiet. I assume the compressor is working and cooling?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes it is. the popping will go away. its just the freon running through the system .the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.