Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I have a refridgerator side by side Model FRS20SPZW0. There

I have a refridgerator side by side Model FRS20SPZW0. There is water leaking inside the freezer side down by the vent (behind bottom pull out bin). Water leaks out down the interior of the freezer by the vent and pools and freezes on bottom (inside under the bin). Then it slowly leaks out the fridge door to my floor once the ice is high enough. What could cause this leak - is it condensation? I took bottom back cardboard panel off but I don't see a drip pan like the old fridges. I thought it might be a blocked drip tube.
Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Justin. I will work hard to help you solve your problem, start to finish. As we move forward with your problem, please remember to provide positive feedback after you accept my answer. You will still receive additional assistance at NO EXTRA CHARGE should you require it. Now, let's get started shall we... The most common thing causing this is simply a clogged drain. Whether it is clogged by only ice, or dust, or anything, the unit defrosts 2 - 3 times per day. If the defrost water cannot go down to the drain pain due to a clog, it'll end up on the floor of the freezer as a sheet of ice. Then you'll start seeing it pour out onto the floor. What you'll need to do is remove the shelves in the freezer, take off the rear panel and defrost that lower portion of the drip pan to expose the hole. I find hot water works best. I also use a shop vac to suck up the spilled water as you're working on it. Once you see the hole, keep working on it. You may need to take the rear panel of the refrigerator off so you can see if the drain tube is clogged. Sometimes dust will seal them shut.