Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I have whirlpool automatic washer Model LA7800XT that was not

Customer Question

I have whirlpool automatic washer Model LA7800XT that was not agitating nor spinning. The dial moved and progressed from cycle to cycle (start to finish). Most online blogs say it may be issue with pump, so I replaced the water pump and motor per suggestions I received so far. Washer is now agitating but stops short of spinning and draining. The dial does not advance either. is this an issue of no power going to the wiring? Any help appreciated! Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  standard appliance replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX have been an appliance tech for more than 15 years and I will be helping you today.Sounds like you may have a failed lid switch. Can you hear the lid switch click when you open and close the lid? It can either be the switch is bad or the strike on the lid is not hitting the lid switch actuator. I would check that first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do hear the lid switch click when opening/closing lid. If lid was not closed, it would not advance through the rinse cycle. The lid was closed in this case, but it did not start the rinse cycle. I manually turned dial to middle of rinse cycle and it started to agitate, but soon after agitating stops, the dial moves to the point where it should start to drain and spin really fast, that is where it stops dead. I also tried this in the "final spin" cycle....same thing.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is Justin. It looks like Mr. Ken, your previous expert has logged off for the evening. I was originally thinking the same thing he was, but after having read your statement, I'm leaning elsewhere. So, your timer stops dead at the drain, but does go through the agitation portion of the rinse cycle ok. Is this right?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Also, does the machine do the first drain and spin after the primary wash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the timer stop dead at the spin/drain cycle...in both the primary wash AND the final rinse/spin cycle.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
So it does NOT spin prior to the first rinse and the timer just stops. What happens if you advance it one click when it stops?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
The timer stops, but do you give it 5 to 10 minutes to see if it moves any further? I'm trying to discern whether you have a circuit issue somewhere with the timer motor, or if you manually advance one step, does the product then spin. Trying to narrow it down for you. In other words, I'd like you to place it where it stops dead, pull the timer knob out and allow it ten minutes to see if it moves at all. Sometimes I'll use a piece of tape and put a sharpie mark on it to indicate any movement at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I should have been more clearer. You are correct. It does not spin after the first rinse. I tried advancing the dial by varying degrees (1 click to multiple clicks - no luck; it sat in that position the whole night). I included image of dial at the position where it stops. Thank you for being so patient.
whirlpool washer dial
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Forgive me, but the indicator is in the extra rinse setting. That shows me the complete cycle finished unless you have the extra rinse selection chosen, it should stop around there. You will have a fill, wash, drain, spin, fill, RINSE, drain and spin, OFF then the extra rinse if that option is selected. Are you saying the timer keeps advancing or stops? I'm not clear on that. If it advances with no final drain or spin into this position? What I'm asking is you say it stops, but are you meaning the machine stops its operation or the timer stops rotating?
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
I guess the botXXXXX XXXXXne is this. If it advances all the way to off, yet never completes the drain spin, that suggests a fault in the drain/spin contact. This contact is EXACTLY the same for drain and spin. The only difference is due to a pause in the timer, taking the gearcase out of neutral and into spin. I'm leaning heavily toward a timer, especially given the age of this unit. If you manually set the unit into a drain/spin, then pull the knob out with no operation AND it goes through it's cycle completely (meaning the timer runs all the way through)... your timer is bad.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Justin! At this point, unlike my very first post, the cycle is not completing. Can timer be replaced?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
yes it can. You remove the knob by pushing in (as if to turn the machine off), then you turn the knob in a counterclockwise fashion until it unthreads from the timer shaft. Then you pry the skirt off. There are two screws holding it into the console. The console just lifts up by those two screws in the corners of the console. I'd offer you the part number, but the model number you listed is not complete. If you can give me that (lift lid, look at bottom of lid on frame of machine) I shall get you the part number.