Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

My LG dehumidifier (Model LHD45ELY8) keeps iceing up which

My LG dehumidifier (Model LHD45ELY8) keeps iceing up which causes the motor/compresor to struggle. I brought it out on my deck and thoroughly flushed the fins out with hot water but the problem continues
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Justin. I will work hard to help you solve your problem, start to finish. As we move forward with your problem, please remember to provide positive feedback after you accept my answer. You will still receive additional assistance at NO EXTRA CHARGE should you require it. Now, let's get started shall we... Here is what I'd like you to do. Place the unit where it normally sits. Pull the bucket out. Reach up under the front louvered section and pull out the filter. Plug it in and let it run for one hour. After this hour, peak up through the louvers with a flash light. Do you see that the ENTIRE evaporator is frosted or just near the top most part of the evaporator? This info is critical for me to give you the correct answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already done that.The frost is confined to the top most part of the evaporator.I actually removed the entire face of the unit exposing the complete evaporator.Then I flushed the entire unit with hot water because there was a considerable amount of gunk within the fins.After restart it still iced up by the next day.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Ok. How old is this unit? I'm asking because with the ice at the top of the evaporator only, you probably have a refrigerant leak. LG dehumidifiers typically come with a five full year warranty. As long as the fan is running, the evaporator should never freeze. It should only sweat. With a low charge, your internal pressures go lower, resulting in lower temps at the evaporator inlet. If you had a properly charged system still, you'd have a full SWEAT pattern. Only frost would accumulate in the first five to ten minutes, then disappear. What is the serial number, with that I can tell you when it was made.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
S/N 803TAXTA0346. You're probably right about the leak, there is a lot of rust and corrosion where the copper tubing enters the cooling fins,
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Yes, and I have worked on hundreds of these. We used to sort of laugh when they came into the shop. We knew that 75% of them would have a leak. Yours was built March of 2008. As long as you have a receipt, LG will replace it free of charge. I'm positive you have a leak. Unfortunately, LG is a decent company, but they draw the tubing down too thin. Since the evaporator is always moist when running, this creates pin hole leaks. Call LG, tell them you suspect a leak. They might have you take it to a shop to be verified, but you'll get a free one.
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you sir. I will do that.