Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
40730774

I am trying to wire a invensys timer to my whirlpool dryer,I

Customer Question

I am trying to wire a invensys timer to my whirlpool dryer,I need a wiring diagram,the posts are different. Please send me a wiring diagram

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Justin. I will work hard to help you solve your problem, start to finish. As we move forward with your problem, please remember to provide positive feedback after you accept my answer. You will still receive additional assistance at NO EXTRA CHARGE should you require it. Now, let's get started shall we...

I shall require your model number so I can look up technical information to help you, AND the part number you purchased so I can try to find documentation on that as well. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. What is the part number you ordered please?
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

I have attached your wiring schematic to a word document. I still need to know exactly what part number you purchased. Thank you.

Attachment: 2012-08-14_012616_this_is_the_wiring_diagram_for_your_dryer.docx

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the proper part number. If you bought something other than this, it's wrong. The part number did not substitute from another number either. This generally means the part will be exactly the same. Again, please include the part number you purchased.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to know what wire goes where. The timer that is bad has red,green and so on, the timer that I purchased only has a,b,c and so on. I need to know what color wire goes on what letter post, also there are 2 bromn jumper wires that are hard wired onto the old timer, I need to know where these 2 wires go also. Please send a reply as to ( example- red wire to A post,green wire to B post and so on. thank you

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Please understand, I know you're looking for an answer. What I need from you however is the part number you are trying to install. I provided the schematic in an earlier post, but I've asked you for the part number now three times. I must have that part number or I can't help you. Please, I need the part number you are attempting to install. I am asking because there was no revision done to the OEM timer, and I'm concerned you have purchased the wrong part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent the part number earlier it is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

Ok, it never showed up.... Gotta love glitches. Let me research this part number for any documentation. Be back with you shortly.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.

I did not find any revisions to that part. Does your old timer look like this? Look at your timer for a part number too.. you may have gotten the wrong timer in the right box. That happens a lot. The timer you had and the one you received should be the same. Look for a part number starting with a W or a part number starting with a numeral. Look on the part itself. The only whirlpool timers I've seen with ABCD etc wouldn't work on this dryer. Here is the original part. Please let me know if you find that(NNN) NNN-NNNNnumber anywhere on your timer.

Timer(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Main Product View

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
You see the label here lists the part number. Does your new timer list this number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
With parts, if there are ever any changes, the part number I look up would have substituted to a new number. Also, there would have been technical documentation on Whirlpool's tech site. Neither of these things occurred. Therefore, you got sent the wrong part. Call your vendor, explain the wrong part was in the box, and you'll get the correct one... The part should have that FSP label and the part number beside it. Otherwise you have the wrong thing.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Take a picture of your timer if you can and upload it here using the paper clip icon. I want to see what you have. I'm sure you have the wrong part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Yep, the part number is XXXXX That answers that. I'm happy that we got that figured out. Someone probably put the wrong part in the box. Call the place you bought it and return it. Explain you ordered the other part and they sent you this. If you have any problems, let me know. Thanks for your question. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Justin, you have been a great help,thats great,at least now I know that I'm not crazy,I just could not figure out how to wire the timer that I purchased,it just didnt look right,I knew something was wrong,so...... the NEW timer should look just like the OLD timer with the 2 brown wires hard wired in it? And it should have the correct part number on it? Which is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have verified there have been no substitutions on that part. Therefore, the part should look the same. Also, with all FSP parts (whirlpool branded parts), the part number will always be on the label. Just like the timer you have now, the part number W101...... is an FSP dryer timer, just not the right one. The(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the right one. I'm happy to have helped. I hope you can rate me positively, and please understand that rating me does not close the question. You can still come back for free if you need more help when you get the right part. Thanks again my friend.

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again Justin,I will return the WRONG part,I just hope they have the right one because when I purchased this one they only had 1 in stock!! I'll call them and let them know what has happened and if they dont have the right part,I will have them order it!!! You have been a great help!! If I get the right part I will be able to handle putting it in and wiring it rthe right way,as long as it looks just like the old one!!! Thanks again for your help!!!
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Yep, my vendor shows over 100 in stock. Just to clarify, in my last post I transposed two numbers. The part number is 8299781. As I said, if you need more help, you can come back to this post at anytime free of charge. Thanks for the positive review. I appreciate your question.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
If they don't have the part in stock, you can call my parts team at 800-364-0777. Heck, our parts place may have it cheaper anyway. Good luck.
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bradley,

This is Justin with Just Answer. I worked with you on your dryer issue recently. I just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know that I hope you got your problem worked out. In the meantime, and if you haven't done so already, please rate your time with me. A rating of OK or better is what we like, anything less, let me know first so I can try to make your experience a better one.

Justin