Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

I have a model 795 Kenmore Elite refrigerator with ice and

Customer Question

I have a model 795 Kenmore Elite refrigerator with ice and water in the door. Lately the water has become extremely slow and the ice production has decreased greatly. I have changed the filter, defrosted the unit and checked the water supply to the refrigerator and have been unable to find the problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon Grella : Hello
Jon Grella : My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you today.
Jon Grella : Let me first ask yo some questions.
Customer:

Sure

Jon Grella : Have you been having this problem with slow water in door and poor ice making since changing the filter?
Customer:

No, it was prior to changing the filter

Customer:

I initially thought it was a filter problem

Jon Grella : And did you flush the air out of the lone after changing the filter?
Jon Grella : Ok gotcha
Customer:

No..

Jon Grella : Do you have the full model number of the machine found in the ref cabinet? It would be on a white sticker on the side wal of the inside of the ref section. Please get it to me.
Customer:

795.79754.904

Jon Grella : Ok. Well first get me the model and then eventually before we end this chat you should flush out the line. I will tell you exactly what to do
Jon Grella : Great. Thank you for the model
Jon Grella : Give me one minute to look it up. Be right back
Jon Grella : Ok
Jon Grella : This is a kenmore elite ref with freezer on bottom?
Customer:

Yep

Jon Grella : Ice and watr in left ref door?
Customer:

yep

Jon Grella : Ok good
Jon Grella : Do me one check before diagnostic test procedure.
Customer:

Sure

Jon Grella : Open the freezer door and look in the back of the freezer. At the back wall do you see any frost or ice forming on the back wall? Anywhere? You mat need to remove the food or bin to see clearly
Customer:

It has been unplugged for nearly 12 hours..it's totally warm and still has the problem..so no frost

Jon Grella : Ok. But it is not unplugged currently, right
Jon Grella : And usually when defrosting these machines by unplugging you want to leave it unolugged with doors open for at least 24 hours to fully defrost the lines
Customer:

Presently, yes, but I can plug it right back in. I obviously plugged it in to see if it still had the problem

Customer:

So maybe it just hasn't been unplugged long enough?

Jon Grella : That is correct. But let's try something here first to make sure.
Customer:

k

Jon Grella : I am going to send you a link to a picture of the case parts in your machine
Customer:

ok

Jon Grella : The part we want to remove is the top left door hinge cover.
Customer:

How does it come off

Jon Grella : Copy and paste this link to your browser to view
Jon Grella : http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/F1104113-00002.png
Customer:

N/m..found the screw..

Jon Grella : Part 207a needs to be removed. There should be one screw holding it in place at the center of the hinge cover. Unscrew it nd pull it off.
Customer:

Ok..cover is removed

Jon Grella : The screw is recessed into the plastics. You will need to get a step stool to look at it clearly
Jon Grella : Ok good
Jon Grella : Do yo see the water line going to the door through the hinge?
Jon Grella : It shoul dbe a clear or black tube
Customer:

The only non wire I see is what looks like a metal wrapped tube...like a tight spring around a tube

Jon Grella : Yep. That's it
Customer:

But yeah..white tube inside

Jon Grella : Do you see A coupling on the tube? The coupling is where the tube is connected and can be disconnected
Customer:

Nope..don't see a coupling

Customer:

No coupling at all...just a tube in a metal wrapper...

Jon Grella : Ok and the tube goes from the cabinet to the center pin which is hollow of the door corrct?
Customer:

yes

Jon Grella : Ok good
Jon Grella : That tube up there is not leaking at all right? D you see any water?
Customer:

No, it's totally dry. No leakage

Jon Grella : Ok good. Remove the lower front kick plate under the freezer door
Jon Grella : There are two screws to remove before pulling off the kick plate
Jon Grella : Let me know when you get it off
Customer:

k..gotta get a longer screwdriver..standby

Jon Grella : Ok
Customer:

ok..it's off. Doesn't really get me anywhere that I can see though

Jon Grella : Ok
Jon Grella : Take a look down there
Jon Grella : Do you see any water lines that are cracked or leaking at all?
Jon Grella : I am trying to,determine if one of the lines are leaking and causing the pour pressure
Customer:

No..nothing. I've pulled the whole unit out since I noticed the problem and have seen 0 leaks

Jon Grella : Ok good
Jon Grella : Amd since you have the unit out I want you to check one more thing for me
Jon Grella : There are two water lines near the top of the back of the machine. One goes straight into the top back of the ref cabinet and one gets bend a little and goes to the left. Do you see what I am referring to?
Customer:

Yes I do

Customer:

Well..sort of..

Customer:

The water line comes in the bottom..eventually goes to the top where it goes to a little plastic box...another line elbows out of that box into the cabinet

Jon Grella : Ok the shorter tube up top that is not straight the one bent or angled with the coupling on it that looks light a right angle is the water line.
Customer:

The little box has a confusing diagram that says "push"

Jon Grella : The line with the coupling is the one we want hear
Customer:

oh

Customer:

ok

Jon Grella : http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/F1104113-00001.png
Jon Grella : Copy and paste this link to your browser now. It is a diagram of th back
Jon Grella : Part number 616j is the coupling and part number 616g is the water Lin ewe need to remove from the coupling
Jon Grella : Do you see now for sure what I am referring to?
Jon Grella : 616j looks like this
Jon Grella : http:/ /www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/4932JA3009A/0046/795/Model-79579754905/0583/0161000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=F1104113&diagramPageId=00001&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=79579754905&subCompDesc=Valve%20and%20water%20tube%20parts&brandDesc=KENMORE%20ELITE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR&blt=11&shdMod=
Jon Grella : Pit is a little right angle connector for the water line.
Customer:

yes

Jon Grella : You have to push in on the little white clips on the ends of the coupling and at the same time pull out the tube to remove. Can you do that now for me please
Jon Grella : You want to remove the water lone either on top or bottom of the coupling. It doesn't much matter. As long as one side of the water line is disconnected
Customer:

Just take the clip off and pull?

Jon Grella : Remember to push in on the line as you are pressing in on the round clip at the end of the coupling to release thlne
Jon Grella : No
Jon Grella : You need to push in with your finger tip on the round clips that fully surrounds the water line
Jon Grella : And then pull the line out as you push in on the clip
Jon Grella : The clips acts like a locking mechanism
Jon Grella : It neds to be pushed in while pulling the water line out.
Jon Grella : Do you under stand
Customer:

Neither side seems to want to budge..

Jon Grella : Ok are you pushing the clip in on the same side you are trying to remove the tube from?
Customer:

I understand..but the only fitting is the elbow..and it has no movement whatsoever..even pushing on the ater line

Customer:

There are no little white clips..

Jon Grella : Ok stop. Let me get a video showing you how to do it. But first did you look at the link below
Jon Grella : http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kenmore-elite-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/4932JA3009A/0046/795/Model-79579754905/0583/0161000?keySuffixId= NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=F1104113&diagramPageId=00001&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=79579754905&subCompDesc=Valve%20and%20water%20tube%20parts&brandDesc=KENMORE%20ELITE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR&blt=11&shdMod=
Customer:

Ok I got it..

Customer:

There were no clips..the end of the elbow just slides in.

Customer:

I took the one off the bottom of the elbow

Jon Grella : The ring at the ends of the coupling that go around the water tube as it is connected to the coupling is the clips I am referring to
Customer:

I got it

Jon Grella : They need to be pushed in on one side, the same side that you are removing the water line from
Customer:

Line = no longer connected

Jon Grella : Ok good
Jon Grella : Do you have some one esle there with you that can help you at this point?
Customer:

yep

Jon Grella : You will need to stay back there with the water line ad the other set of hands gets waste from the door. And it must be water not ice.
Customer:

not a problem

Jon Grella : But first get a bucket to put thend of the water line you just removed from the coupling to go into
Customer:

ok ready

Jon Grella : You don't want water all over the place. A larger cup will work fine too
Jon Grella : Dont do it yet
Jon Grella : You should see a steady flow of water with good force coming out of that line where getting water at the door. I you do then great reconnect it. Then try to get more water at the door. Is it stng or weak again?
Customer:

standy

Jon Grella : And if it sputters like there is air in the line when getting water at the door also let me know
Jon Grella : Ok
Jon Grella : And if you get no water from hose while disconnected also let me know that too
Customer:

There was no sputter...but there was not much pressure either. It just flowed out steadily

Jon Grella : Steadly or trickled?
Customer:

When I unhooked it initially there was a burst of air. Maybe that was air in the line
?

Customer:

Steadily

Jon Grella : Yup
Jon Grella : May have had air in line
Customer:

Try reconnecting and check it in the door?

Jon Grella : Now reconnect the line and try again at the door and tell me how it comes out now.
Jon Grella : Yes.
Jon Grella : Does it sputter?
Jon Grella : Thcome out weak or better?
Customer:

No sputter..but it flows very slowly. same as it was..nowhere near what it was when I installed it 2 years ago

Jon Grella : Then come out weak or better ?
Jon Grella : Ok. Then you have a restriction in the line. Usually do to a for,img of ice in the water tank
Customer:

Where is said water tank?

Jon Grella : You need to unplug the machine and let it fully defrost for at least 24 hours
Jon Grella : The water tank is a water line that is coiled up in the back of the inside of the rf cabinet.
Jon Grella : On the right or left side behind the drawers
Customer:

OK. I'll just let it continue to defrost as originally planned.

Jon Grella : D you see it?
Jon Grella : Yes.
Jon Grella : I have seen this model get clogged with formation of ice in the water tank line. Since it is so slice to the bottome freezer where all the cold is made. Just poor design.
Jon Grella : And all you have to do is unplug the machine for about 24-36 hours and leave the doors open to let it defrost
Jon Grella : Then try it again
Customer:

Right on. Well..thanks man. Hopefully thawing it out will help. Was initially doing that and go impatient I guess.

Jon Grella : If that doesn't help tamale sure that you have good water pressure to the machine.
Jon Grella : You got it
Jon Grella : Please get back to me here and let me know how it goes
Jon Grella : Oh wait.
Customer:

Will do. Link in my email, right? Just in case that doesn't work and we need to try something else

Jon Grella : First befor unplugging it flush the air out of the line by running the water at the door for about 60oinces worth. That will flush the tank out
Customer:

Ok. Did that just now..so I'll just let it sit..

Jon Grella : Flush the Line out then unplug the machine and leave the doors open for at least 24-36 hours
Jon Grella : Yes.
Jon Grella : Good
Jon Grella : Amd please remember to rate my performance below now it's ok service or better rating
Customer:

I guess that's it for tonight..I appreciate it

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Just let me know how you make out on Tuesday. just come back here and I will help you more. Again for no additional charge.

Thanks again.