Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

We live in a 19 year old house. In the last several months,

We live in a 19 year old house. In the last several months, we occasionally notice a squeaky noise when water is turned on. We've heard it when the washer is filling up, when the kitchen sink faucet is turned on, etc. It doesn't last very long (sometimes less than a minute!) We'd love to know what is causing this, and what to do about it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to assist you. Does the squeak happen for both hot and cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so...Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
You are so welcome and is the squeak every time you turn the water on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it happens very randomly. Some mornings, I'll hear it for a couple of seconds when I turn on the kitchen faucet; sometimes I'll hear it when the dishwasher is filling up - sometimes we don't hear it for a few days! It's very perplexing. I'm wondering if it has something to do with new housing construction going on down the street??? I just don't know, and hesitate to call a plumber, as we may not be able to replicate the sound when he is here? Thanks again!
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you just gave me some good info. The squealing sounds is caused by one of two things. You either have air in your line or you have bad water pressure. Both of these may be caused by the construction down the road. Unfortunately you will need to call a plumber and he will know exactly what to check and how to correct it. You can wait, if that is feasible till the construction is done and see if it goes away. However if that is no good then you do need to call a plumber and even if the sound doesn't do it at that time he will still be able to take care of the issue. Sorry about the bad news and I thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.