Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My washer starts then stops right at the beginning of the

My washer starts then stops right at the beginning of the cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

does this fill all the way before this stops ? do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model number 110.20912.990
Additional information:
I started washing on a regular 14 minute cycle. It filled up the washer fine. Then when it went to click into the wash cycle it started this pattern of start/stop about 3 times then just stopped altogether. I opened the lid, readjusted the clothes, then moved the dial back to soak. It did the start/stop thing again, but made it through the soak part. I unplugged it for 30 seconds and plugged it back in, then pulled the dial out to start the presoak cycle. Once again it did the start/stop thing. While it was doing this I began my conversation with you. By the time you replied, it had started working fine. It drained the water and is now poised to go into the main wash cycle. I started the main cycle wash, it filled up, and did the start/stop thing. One other thing the time between start/stops is about 20-30 seconds before it does the start/stop thing again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
does it sound like the motor jerks when its starting and stopping ? like clunk clunk clunk ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope. it is smooth like it normally is and shuts off like normal. Since my last reply I have left it running and the start/stop is continual with exactly 30 seconds in between. After the down time, it will then start up and run exactly 5 seconds then shut off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay . when this shuts down try opening and closing the lid quickly. does it start up right away. ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope. It just waits for the 30 seconds and starts/stops again. Interestingly, I left it running and it sort of start/stopped itself through the 14 minute cycle now it is draining the water. It seems that the agitation is the problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That sounds like and issue with the motor . can you let this finish and then try different speeds in the wash cycle ? let me know if this works on like delicate without stopping ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. yes. it has finished draining and spinning. It is on rinse now. Will keep you posted.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thanks. this is a 3 speed motor and you may have bed windings. try different cycles. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I feel stupid, but at least it only cost me $23 and not $60 or worse. It was on "hand wash". When I put it on "regular" it worked just fine.
This got the job done, but I don't see any smileys to rate you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay thats great ! you should see the smiley faces now. sorry I went to dinner and just got back the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.