Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Ensignia Gas Dryer that is not heating. I

I have a Maytag Ensignia Gas Dryer that is not heating. I have cleared the vent pipe and tried all cycles. There are no removable panels for me to access interior mechanics :( Please help...

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

can you get us the full model number off the tag inside the door so we can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay perfect, the first thing you need to do is see if the igniter is comming on. on this diagram you can see two clips #10 take a putty knife and push these clips in, this will allow you to lift the top and let it hinge back against the wall. turn the lights off and put the dryer on high heat and start it. you should see an orange glow down underneath the drum . can you do that ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What diagram?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok - i don't see any glow room is pitch black

okay. do you have tools to take the machine apart ? do you have a volt meter also ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have some tools but not a volt meter
okay. well we can try a few things. most likely the high limit thermostat is bad though meter is what you check that with. unplug the dryer and remove the front panel # XXXXX by removing the screws # XXXXX on the diagram. tip the panel forward at the top and unplug the door switch wires, lift it off the bottom clips and set it aside.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. i couldnot unplug door switch but was able to release the wire holder so i could move it aside. what's next?
okay can you see the burner assembly ? # XXXXX on this diagram ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, the dryer is unplugged correct ? if so there is a thermostat on the side of the heater can .# XXXXX on the diagram. remove both wires and tape them together and try the machine to see if the igniter starts to glow. if it does then the thermostat needs to be replaced. this is only a test don't leave that jumped out. replace the thermostat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Having trouble. #10 is screwed into #8. #10 has 2 wires connected #4. I was trying to remove #10 but the back screw will not come out. I removed the panel with the lint catcher and found that tube to be clogged. How do i remove the wires? Do i need to unscrer #10 or just disconnect #4 wires? if so, how do i remove them, i tried to pull on them but they didn't come out...
you can leave it on # XXXXX just take a flat head screw driver and pry the wires off gently. they will come off. if you found this clogged most likely it did blow the high limit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't get the wires off, i tried pulling and prying, not budging... The machine is still unplugged. Can i see if the ignitor will glow now? Do the wires need to be off? Will the ignitor come on if it's not plugged in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you mentioned thermostat on the side of the heater can, it looks like that would be #13 not #10. Is it on the left side of #8? I was able to remove one of those wires but not the other, i can try again if this is the correct one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan - i just turned it on and the ignitor came on. Is it possible the clogged vent was the problem? Should i put together and give it a try?
sorry I was off line, had to go out. yes its possible the vent clog could cause this. did the flame actually light though ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was glowing, i don't know if i actually saw a FLAME. i put it back together and it is still not heating. When i turn it on i see the orange glow for a minute and then it goes away. Any ideas?
okay you need to replace the gas valve coils. these open the valve and let the gas out. this will take care of your issue, these are easy to change and heres the link to order them and theres a video to show you how to replace them. there only $20.00. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got the gas valve coils and installed them and it's working great - thanks!

thats great ! glad to help. have a nice weekend. thanks, Bryan