Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a 700TCI Sub. The freezer works but the fridge does

I have a 700TCI Sub. The freezer works but the fridge does not

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

This unit has two compressors on it so it could be a couple of issues.

Robert :

First thing to check is the inside/back panel of the refrigerator. Check the entire panel for ice buildup. Look behind the shelves and everywhere on the panel.

Robert :

Second, push the switches on the refrigerator side in with the door open and make sure the lights go out and the fan comes on.

Robert :

Let me know what you find in either case.

Customer:

I turned it off for 2 days and turned it back on and still the same..

Robert :

Check the fan in the refrigerator side for operation. You will hear it running after you push the switches in and hold them. You have to push both switches if your unit has 2.

Customer:

I can hear the fan running and the switches work fine

Robert :

Ok. Do you know how to remove the access panel to clean the coils and the compressor area?

Customer:

allready done that

Robert :

Good. You will need to confirm that the compressor for both sides is running.

Robert :

A running compressor will vibrate and be very warm, almost hot.

Customer:

I know ,thanks .the fridge is at the lake house 20 mi, away I will have to grt back to u

Robert :

I understand.

Robert :

If the compressor is running then you may just have a freon leak issue.

Robert :

This is a common problem on this unit. You will have to get the unit recharged with freon and replaced the stem valve because that is where 95 percent of the leaks occur.

Robert :

If the compressor is not running then you may need to replace the start devices on the side of the compressor.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get back to u

Robert :

Absolutely. Just come back to this question OR request me when you get online.

Robert :

I will be glad to help you.

Customer:

How can I tell if its the freon without gages

Robert :

You will have to have gauges to get an accurate reading BUT if the unit is very very hot or not hot at all, then it is low on freon.

Customer:

The unit is very hot

Robert :

Probably a good indicator that you need to add freon and fix the leak on the unit. This will require a set of gauges, freon and a stem valve replacement.

Robert :

The stem valve needs to be replaced without discharging the unit or allowing any air into the compressor. This is done with a shut off charging valve that has a built in stem replacement tool on it.

Customer:

Cost of repair, with tec?

Robert :

Where are you located?

Customer:

Windsor Ont. Can.

Robert :

You are probably looking at about 120-200 dollars depending on the servicer. The freon is about 10 dollars and the stem is about 6 dollars. The rest is the trip and labor.

Robert :

Don't let them get you for more than that.

Customer:

Thanks again Robert,this helps alot.

Robert :

No problem.

Robert :

Just let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in the future.

Customer:

Fisher Paykel DD306 dish washer, lower unit works top does not. lights on nobody home

Robert :

On those units the motors for the lid will not allow it to work if they don't close all the way. They will also stop if water gets on the bottom panel and triggers the sensor. Other than that, open the drawer and take the shelving and the motor assembly apart to make sure the components are not blocked.

Robert :

No error codes at all?

Customer:

I will check when I get to the lake

Robert :

Ok.

Robert :

I will check back in a bit. Gonna step away and grab a bite to eat.

Customer:

Hey Robert ,went to the lake turned the fridge back on and its working again ?????

Customer:

DD306 has no error codes . When i turn it on it lites up for 30 sec and shuts down.the key pad is not working ether