Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

Lock icon remains lit despite pressing and holding the alarm/lock

Customer Question

Lock icon remains lit despite pressing and holding the alarm/lock button. I have not ice or water due to this condition.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello

Robert :

Do you have the model number on your unit so I can pull it up?

Robert :

Just let me know when you have that information and I will pull up the technical data for that unit.

Customer:

ice maker # XXXXX XXXXX SA12810

Robert :

The model number for the refrigerator will be in the refrigerator section on a label.

Robert :

I did not specify that I was needing that number and for that, I apologize.

Customer:

LG model # XXXXX Ser # XXXXX

Robert :

Thank you. Bear with me a few minutes while I pull that up.

Robert :

Having an issue with the LG site but I am finding a couple of things about this problem.

Robert :

You said you thawed the components in your explanation. Were they all frozen over or did you do this as a precaution?

Customer:

I did this as a precaution since water was not flowing to dispenser after ensuring line was clear and filter was clear.

Robert :

The lock light has been on the whole time?

Customer:

Yes except when the unit was out in the sink defrosting.

Robert :

Ok. I am noticing that the part number you gave me for the icemaker has changed due to an update.

Robert :

AEQ36756901 is the new part number.

Robert :

I have downloaded the updated viewer for the tech manual and I am viewing it now.

Robert :

Ok.

Customer:

OK what?

Robert :

If you have pressed and held the Alarm/Lock button for 3 seconds and it is not turning off then you will need to verify that the filter is in properly and that the plug for the icemaker is in completely. If both things check good then the manual says that you need to reset the unit by unplugging it for 30 minutes and then plugging it back in. When you plug it back in make sure you have the doors closed and don't press any buttons for the first 2 minutes. Try the unlock procedure again.

Robert :

If this fails then you will need to replace the controls on the dispenser because they have failed due to a surge or moisture damage.

Robert :

I can get you the part number for the controls if you would like that.

Customer:

Yes that control part number would be the next step. I did have the unti out and unplugged for several minutes (not sure about 30) and did not reactivate the unit for several minutes. Was the 30 minutes for defrosting or an electrical/reboot step?

Robert :

It is the reboot step.

Robert :

3551JA1135B is the part number for the control board/dispenser assembly.

Robert :

Getting the dispenser apart requires no tools.

Customer:

Is that the entire unit or just what is "in the door" with the soft switches?

Robert :

You have to grab one side of the dispenser housing and pull to the side and out at the same time to get it to the snaps to let loose. The control board is on the housing and is an assembly with the buttons, screen, board and housing.

Robert :

Does that sound like something you can handle?

Customer:

Is this done from the outside of the refrigerator where the buttons are or is it on the unit that makes the ice? Do you have a way to send pictures?

Robert :

It is done from the outside with the door closed.

Robert :

Let me see if I can get a breakdown or video for you.

Customer:

Got it loose but it seems to hang on spout that dispenses the ice and water when I try to pull it out all the way out to unplug it.

Robert :

I uploaded a video to youtube for you:

Robert :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf2yv9pq0c&feature=youtu.be

Customer:

Can you send that url to my email so I can view it there? I did get it off the refrigerator by pulling bottom out first and slipping it below the spout so I guess I am good to go for the part!

Customer:

Got to go as my wife called and is injured and needs my help right away!

Robert :

No problem.

Robert :

Just let me know if you need anything else and I hope your wife is okay.

Customer:

I submitted your rating with an excellent service rating.

Robert :

I will be here for you if you need more assistance.

Customer:

There is no "ACCEPT" button to click and there is no "Submit" button to click when rating. I think someone needs to review your interface page for content and instruction clarification!!!!!!!!!!

Customer:

Your letterhead mentions "bonuses" but there does not seem to be a way to use that suggestion.

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well the front panel part I ordered on your advise did not cure the main problem of no ice. Water does not even flow in to the icemaker. The icemaker makes a continous noise like it is dumping ice or expecting water. I have verified line has water, the line is not blocked with ice or debris and cold water dispenses as normally expected. Would you suspect solenoid/valve controlling water flow or icemaker?

Optional Information:
Brand: LG
Type of Appliance: Refrigerator
What have you tried so far?: Replacing front panel with board and controls for dispensing ice, checked water supply at wall (line clear) and back of fridge,have removed icemaker to defrost and to reset (for over 1/2 hour as Robert suggested),cold water is dispensed but no water flows in to icemaker. Heavy lime residue noted on spout and cube slots.