Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

The igniter on my gas dryer appears to have gone out. Should

The igniter on my gas dryer appears to have gone out. Should I employ a professional to fix it or is it a job that a handyman could probably do?
What is your model number and brand, then I'll give you my opinion depending on the difficulty. Some are easy, some not so much.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe that it is a Maytag Automatic Dryer D-9

Well, that's not a complete model number, but generally speaking Maytag dryers are not overly difficult to change the ignitor. You unplug the dryer, remove the front panel and the ignitor and gas valve sit right in the front. Access is very easy. They come apart differently, but without a proper model number, I'm not sure exactly which dryer you own. In my professional opinion, yes a handyman could handle this particular repair. The only piece of advice I'd offer is to be very very gentle when handling the new ignitor (if that's what's bad) and I choose to wear gloves during the install so that no oil from my skin gets on the ignitor by accident. Thank you for your question :) If you need further assistance, you may come back to this question at any time at no additional charge. Please give me a positive review :)