Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

we have a GE Front load washer model # XXXXX Out of

we have a GE Front load washer model # XXXXX Out of the blue, if you will, (scared me to death) on the last high speed spin, it made a terrible rumble... i mean i thought it was going to go threw the wall! It's 5 years old... payed over 700.00 for it.... my dad says after 3 years replace... I'm not sure i'm ready to do that yet. My kids say the shocks are done. And at 39.00 bucks each x 4 or 6, that's a lot. I don't think personally all can go at one time... but i'm just a mom... I do know, that i would never buy another front loader... what's your thought? repair... my boys can do, if they know what it needs or buy? thanks much, Debbie
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Debbie my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to assist you. Okay, first when you open the door does the drum sit even with the door all the way around or is it sagging towards the bottom of the washer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks pretty even
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, now when you turn it by hand does it turn evenly and smoothly with a slight resistance? Also the rumble did it also kinda sound like a jet engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, a jet engine. it moves pretty evenly, best i can tell
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might as well as get a new washer. What has happened is the outer tub bearing is going bad. In a nutshell the inner tub has a shaft that goes through the outer tub via the bearings. This shaft is connected to a wheel that has a belt on it to turn your inner tub. The bearing prevent any water from the inner tub to get out. So, you need to replace the bearings as the shaft is rubbing against them. Now if you do it yourself the tub runs about $500 and 4 hours of labor. To have a repairman to do it will run $650 to $700. So, that is why I say you will be better off getting a new washer. I am her for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what caused it? is there a recall from GE on this washer. just doesn't seem fair... thank you much.... you get an A+
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
There is no rhyme or reason as to the cause. It is characteristic of front load washer and it doesn't matter the brand. I have seen front loaders last for 10 years and never have that happen and then I have seen it happen after a couple of years. No one knows what really causes it but it only happens on front loader. I know it sucks and all manufacturers know it happens. My theory is that it stops that "Lonely Maytag Guy" from being so lonely. Again sorry about the bad news but you can get a great top loader for less than the repairs of yours. Thanks again, Randy.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
went and bought a top load maytag... grumble, grumble! I was wondering, before we drag out the front loader... any parts from it that could be used on the dryer? You were great! Debbie
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
To be honest, there are no parts that you can use for the dryer. The only possible part to interchange would be the top of the washer or the bottom front panel below the door. However, these parts you will never have to replace unless they completely rust out which I have never seen happen on a dryer. Great job on your part and you will be happy in the long run.