Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

hello my Kitchenaid KBFA25ERSS01 refrig and freezer are not

hello my Kitchenaid KBFA25ERSS01 refrig and freezer are not that cold most stuff has defrosted .. anty ideas where to start..unit is about 5 years old..thanks

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you open the freezer and look behind the food on the back wall and tell me if theres any frost on it ? look real good.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

looked real good.. not that i can see..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i pulled cover off to access coils they look clean.. there is a some sort of green liquid in the drip pan..
okay can you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor area in the back of the refrigerator about every 3-5 minutes ?
if you hear buzzing or clicking or if you pull the cover off over the compressor and it cold or not vibrating then the compressor isn't starting and you need to replace the start relay on the side of the compressor. it just pushes on. use a screw driver to pry it off. heres a link to order it. thanks , the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok just got to check unit.. when i plug it in all the fans run and compressor seemed like it was running but was more of a humm i felt all the copper tubing and none felt COLD ..compressor never sounded like it it was running hard .. it did feel warm to the touch
its sounds like I was right on may feel like its running but what I think you hear is the windings trying to start the compressor. its not really running I don't believe , can you remove the back panel inside the freezer behind your food and check the evaporator coils for frost ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no frost i can see
okay none at all ? then the compressor isn't running. I would replace the relay and see if it starts, if it doesn't the compressor itself is bad. if you order the part @ they will let you return it even if you installed it , Just in case the compressor is bad. hope this helps. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok local parts house had starter relay.. that didn't fix it.. the drip pan has a green layer in it.. none of the pipes from compressor get cold..i can definetly feel compressor running thou i can't really hear it.. if i shake compressor back and forth feels like something bangs around in it..any more ideas.thanks for all your help

thats not good then. the compressor is shot and that would cost as much to repair as a new refrigerator unfortunately. sorry to give you bad news, a new compressor installed can be anywhere from 600-800 dollars.