Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE Model GTS22KHPBRWW refrigerator. The freezer temp

I have a GE Model GTS22KHPBRWW refrigerator. The freezer temp is good, but I'm getting no cooling in the fresh food section. When I plug in the unit, the fan located at the back of the freezer compartment starts up, then stops, so there's no cold air going to the refrigerator part. Any idea what's wrong?
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

The fan keeps stopping in the freezer ? does it start up and run at high speed then slowly wind down and stop or does it stop abruptly ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I plug the refrigerator in, the fan runs for about 1 second, then stops abruptly
okay . can you tell me if theres any frost on the back panel in the freezer behind the food ? look real good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is frost.
okay what you need to do is remove that back panel and defrost the coils . I think your fan is okay its probably being stopped by the frost around the fan. do you have tools to get the back panel off ? you have a defrost issue. its one of three things. let me know when you get this defrosted and I'll tell you what to test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There's no frost around the fan. I've already pulled the back panel off. The coils are not frosted up.

oh okay. then the fan is the issue, this doesn't have the electronic board so thats good.

Can you get me the number off the fan itself ? I'm looking at this and its not giving me a part number for that fan. they show it on the diagrams but don't list it. also look at the voltage on it can you tell me the voltage ? it should be 115 volts AC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm giving up and going out and buying a new refrigerator. I'vr run out of time.
okay sorry. the fan would need to be replaced to fix the issue and its something that would need to be ordered , thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think it's the fan, since the fan spins, then stops. I think it's something that controls the fan, like maybe the defrost sensor? I just don't know enough about what controls the fan to go any further. Anyway, this is the second time this unit's failed in the last 5 years, so we decided to replace the whole unit. I think this would have worked better if I had been able to talk to you in person.,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You were right. When I had more time, I put a meter on the fan leads and there was a constant 125 VAC, so it was the fan motor. Luckily, there's an appliance parts place 10 miles from my house and they had the evaporator fan motor in stock! Took me about 10 minutes to change it out and the problem's solved. Sorry I didn't believe you.
thats great ! glad to hear you have it figured out, sorry i wasn't on earlier I had a doctors appointment, have a great weekend , thanks, Bryan