Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Elite HE 4t washing machine. This morning

I have a Kenmore Elite HE 4t washing machine. This morning it made a hideously loud, banging noise during the final spin. Time remaining was 5 minutes but the noise stopped at the 2 minute mark. When I removed the laundry, I noticed that the tub moves back and forth very easily and I've never noticed that before. It does not move up and down, and it spins freely. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Can you get us the model number off the tag inside the door so we can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model number is110.45991400
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay perfect. the loud bang was either one of the shocks breaking of one of you springs snapped.the shocks are # XXXXX on this diagram and the springs # XXXXX remove the bottom access panel # XXXXX by removing screws # XXXXX on this diagram, this will allow you to see the shocks. you can remove the top also to see the springs . there are screws on the back for this. also check your belt in the back see if it broke. let me know what you find.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We finally got into the machine and both the shocks and springs look good, but how can I tell if the shocks are bad? And how do I know it's not a bearing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay have you checked the belt in the back and see if it broke or came off ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The belt was attached and didn't seem loose.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay does the tub swing back and forth real easy ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but not up and down and when the noise was occurring the machine was not shaking - it was perfectly still.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay does the machine start right now ? can you get this to a spin cycle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it's unplugged and half apart.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay try this, move the inner tub in and out. in other words does the stainless tub pull towards you without the outer tub moving ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband and son went ahead and took it apart and found that the spiderr arm has corroded and broken. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thats why I needed him to see if the tub moved in and out to see if it was the bearing or spider tine, tell him good job ! thats a huge job you need to replace the entire inner tub. do you want a link to the part ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks but I've already been on the phone with Sears which is a huge job in itself. You were a great help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your welcome, have a great day ! thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician