Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore Elite HE 4t washing machine. This morning

I have a Kenmore Elite HE 4t washing machine. This morning it made a hideously loud, banging noise during the final spin. Time remaining was 5 minutes but the noise stopped at the 2 minute mark. When I removed the laundry, I noticed that the tub moves back and forth very easily and I've never noticed that before. It does not move up and down, and it spins freely. Any ideas?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Can you get us the model number off the tag inside the door so we can better assist you ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
model number is110.45991400
okay perfect. the loud bang was either one of the shocks breaking of one of you springs snapped.the shocks are # XXXXX on this diagram and the springs # XXXXX remove the bottom access panel # XXXXX by removing screws # XXXXX on this diagram, this will allow you to see the shocks. you can remove the top also to see the springs . there are screws on the back for this. also check your belt in the back see if it broke. let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We finally got into the machine and both the shocks and springs look good, but how can I tell if the shocks are bad? And how do I know it's not a bearing?
okay have you checked the belt in the back and see if it broke or came off ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The belt was attached and didn't seem loose.
okay does the tub swing back and forth real easy ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but not up and down and when the noise was occurring the machine was not shaking - it was perfectly still.
okay does the machine start right now ? can you get this to a spin cycle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, it's unplugged and half apart.
okay try this, move the inner tub in and out. in other words does the stainless tub pull towards you without the outer tub moving ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband and son went ahead and took it apart and found that the spiderr arm has corroded and broken. I appreciate your help.
Okay, thats why I needed him to see if the tub moved in and out to see if it was the bearing or spider tine, tell him good job ! thats a huge job you need to replace the entire inner tub. do you want a link to the part ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks but I've already been on the phone with Sears which is a huge job in itself. You were a great help.
your welcome, have a great day ! thanks , Bryan