Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a GE Profile side-by-side refrigerator and freezer

We have a GE Profile side-by-side refrigerator and freezer that is no longer cooling. The freezer seems to keep warming up to about 20 degrees F and then for a day or 2 it will return to 0 degrees F. The refrigerator is now warming up to 46 degree F. A few weeks ago there was a loud vibrating noise emanating from the freezer and then it ended but is no longer keeping the food frozen. Issue 2 is that the water filter light is red and the water stream is very slow flowing. Issue 3 - the ice maker is not making ice - hopefully this is because of the high temperature in the freezer.

I removed the back panels and cleaned the compressor - I now feel air coming out of the left side of the compressor. Waiting now to see if the temperature inside goes down.

Please let me know what parts may be involved and what the cost may be to repair our system. Could the system be in defrost mode???? If so, is there any way that I can reset it?

Tom
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you open the freezer section and tell me if theres any frost on the back wall behind the food ? any at all ? look real good, move the food if you have to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, there is front on the back wall - thin layer but covers almost the entire back wall
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked in the back and there is a layer of frost covering almost the entire back wall of the freezer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
???? I am not receiving any responses. The back of my freezer is covered with frost - the temperature is 23 degrees F
because you keep posting and I need time to respond, when you repost you erase mine. please give me about five minutes to reply and finish my answer, thanks Bryan

okay the issue is the defrost thermostat. remove the back panel in the freezer behind your food and take a hair dryer and defrost all the coils, the defrost thermostat is located on top of the coils, hers a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X10068/1170024?modelNumber=PSS26NSTASS its around $9.00, hope this helps. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan

I hope you received my last post. We are having site issue's if so the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Sears repairman looked at my refrigerator today. The result is that the thermostat was fine, the computer board was fine and there was no freon leak. The correct diagnosis was that due to the power outages in the MD area, all that needed to be done was to unplug the refrigerator and then replug it back in to reset the system. I am now returning the thermostat I purchased and paying $145 for the service call and $30 for your advice

if there was frost theres something wrong other than just unplugging it to reset it. this doesn't work like that. you will have the issue come back . you got taken by sears unfortunately, how did he test the thermostat ? can you tell me exactly ? his steps to test it or did he just say it was good ? I would wait and see but the frost on the panel cannot be caused by a power outage . I know your going to have more issues. I would keep this question open for a few weeks before you will know.