Justin
Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service

stuck dispenser door

I have a maytag 4000 series 4.5 cu. ft. front-loader. I noticed that the downy dispenser was getting sort of clogged and I didn't know how to remove that drawer (I do now) to clean it. I'm not sure what I did, but it's jammed and I can't open it at all. I'm guessing that I need to remove a larger part of the front of the washer to get at that part to open it but I don't know how. Please help! Also, please use very clear terms since this is NOT my area.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay, do you have a model number of the washer so I can pull up a diagram?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model is MHWE400WW01. I've taken out the screws so the top area is loose and seems like it will come off soon but the right side of it is still attached tightly and I don't see where to loosen it to remove that part of the cover. Clearly, I'm an expert! You should see me at plumbing ;)
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

If your dispenser drawer is stuck within the dispenser housing, the only thing you can really do is PULL. There is no way to release this drawer from the inside. Even if you take the top off, you'll only be able to remove the dispenser assembly (with the drawer still in it). Basically, you must pull hard. The dispenser assembly is ultrasonically welded and does not come apart. The front of the drawer may come off in your hand. There is no special release. Chances are, the drawer got put in off track, or one of the siphoning tubes is causing the jam. To remove the top of the washer, you take out the three screws on the rear of the top panel. Push back on the top and lift off. Then you can disconnect wiring and tubing. That's about all the access you'll get. Chances are, if the drawer is truly stuck, you'll have to break something to get it out. Not the answer you want I'm certain, but it's the reality of it.

Justin, Appliance Technician
Experience: Owner of Shaffer's Appliance Service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm one of those people who just can't let it go once I start on a problem. It's been like this for over 6 months, but tonight was the night. I ended up taking the front door off, the control panel off, and then the top off. I was able to disconnect all sorts of things and disconnect the entire dispenser compartment. I used kitchen knives to hold open all of those annoying little clips that held the dispenser closed and actually got the thing to release the drawer! Yay! I have most of it put back together and no extra screws so that's a good thing. I'm washing the compartment thing and just have to figure out how that part goes back on, but I'm sure I'll figure that part out. Thank you for your help! I had tried pulling on that damn drawer until my fingers were bleeding and even stuck some kitchen knives in to try to flatten whatever was jamming it, but that didn't work. I'm a downy snob and just really need to be able to add my downy to my laundry again because it doesn't smell right. Yes, these are the depth of my problems ;) Thank you so much!