Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have water coming from under our vegetable bins We cannot

We have water coming from under our vegetable bins We cannot track it down where it is coming from Every day or two we have to wipe it down and dry it The water that is there is so cold it freezes Why? Maytag Model Number PTB1953DR
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! The defrost drain in the freezer is frozen and the defrost water is dripping from the air vents from the freezer. You will need to remove all the food and the shelf from the freezer and take the rear panel (number 2 below) off to access and thaw the drain. It is under the aluminum evaporator coil, slightly right of center. Let me know what you see after removing the rear panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took off what you said I need to take off. The drain channels looks open to me.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Did you find the small hole in the bottom of the aluminum trough? Will water run down it if you pour a small amount in the trough?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The drain will look similar to the picture below.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your diagram doesn't match to what I have. But the same concept.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is from a different model but is similar. Is that hole in yours clear? Does water run down it freely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup the water drained freely

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and you are getting water under the crispers every day?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes day or two.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Dump water down the freezer drain and watch in the upper portion of the fresh food compartment near the center where the back meets the top of the refrigerator section. See any water dripping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None so far.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
So no water is present going down the back wall inside the refrigerator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water down the back (inside)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am at a loss on this one. That is the only place water can come from because there is no water tank or other source for the water other than from the drain. I am going to gracefully bow out and place your question at the top of the list. Sorry I did not have a good answer for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You taught me something I didn't know So don't feel bad about it. Hope unplugging the unit might of thawed out the problem. Time will tell Thanks Kelly for your help. It is one of those days where everything wants to go wrong.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you still need help with this ? can you put a bowl under the center of the back of the fresh food section for a couple of days and see if it catches any water ? this way we can eliminate the drain. can you do that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure I can do that. Then what?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
graphiccome back and tell me if you find water. it may not be running down the back but possibly dripping from the drain. try to place the bowl under the part where I put the arrow on .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I have contacted you guys about the problem and you guys showed me what to do , I haven't had any more problem with it. But time will tell. Today is Monday and no water under the crisper. Thanks so much for the answer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome let me know if you need further assistance , the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.