Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a EW28BS71IS Electrolux Refrigerator with a JDNB-28

I have a EW28BS71IS Electrolux Refrigerator with a JDNB-28 ice maker. I believe need to replace the Ice Maker and also find a new one. I have looked for the "3" screws to remove it but so far have only found the two that are on the side and have not found the third one that is suppose to exist. I am looking for which oneis the third screw to remove. Also will any appliance parts store have the replacement Ice maker available or do I have to go to a certain parts place to get one, or is there someplace on line I can get one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

What is the issue with the ice maker? is this not getting water ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes a rather loud knocking sound. I believe that at the time it is suppose to drop ice that is when the knocking sound happens. It started out that I had to turn it off and back on to get it to make ice and then I no longer could get it to do any at all. I think the mechanism is either binding or gears are stripped or something.

I know at one time I read that the control module/computer that runs the ice maker work had a defect in it but it seems to try and make ice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
What most likely happened is the mold heater has failed, this heats up to help release the ice. when they fail the ice gets stuck , I'll see what other parts may have broken because of that, the problem is you will probably need to replace the parts rather than the whole unit. I'm not seeing the whole unit in one piece. I'll get back to you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. But I am having a problem finding parts for the ice maker based on the part number that the name plate says is installed in the is refrigerator.....thats one reason I want to remove it and see if I can find a different part number on the unit itself, since I believe this unit is actually made by someone else other then Eletrolux. The front panel of the ice maker says Pure on it
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I found diagrams for you and a link to the parts. what you will need to do is take the ice maker apart and see which parts are a problem. the heater is number 14 and the ice maker motor which is most likely stripped is part number 18. you will most likely need to replace both. heres a link to the ice maker parts. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Electrolux-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-EW28BS71IS0/1412/0161000/R0908175/00008?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=EW28BS71IS0 I really cant tell you what has broke but I'm pretty sure its what i said. you will need to take this apart to be sure, hope this helps. the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to rate you but did not see where to pick a rating, which is very very good and fast ...thank you. I do have a followup question though I still do not see how to actually remove it from the refrigerator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

How old is this refrigerator ? there is a class action lawsuit against electrolux on these ice makers. I would call and tell them you want it fixed,let me know how old it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is almost 2 years old I believe, but I can not get Electrolux to help me because the serial number is XXXXX readable. I bought this from an individual that bought it then a few months later decided to remodel his kitchen and ended up buying a cabinet depth refrigerator. When I bought it it had the book and stuff but I did not pay that close attention to realize the tag on the upper right side had been partially scratched off.
When I called them a few months back to get help they refused to help because I was unable to give them a S/N. I asked them if there was another location other then the tag it was located but they said they did not believe so.
So now I sit with a refrigerator that I love except the problem with the ice maker is driving me crazy and thinking I am going to have to go buy another one. FRUSTRATING
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh thats not good because if its been scratched off it means it was probably a returned unit. in other words someone bought it had trouble with it and returned it. this may have even been scraped and bought from a recycling warehouse, when these are scrapped they remove the serial number so its not supposed to be sold again.I'm not sure thats what happened but thats what they do. I cant find the tear down info on this either. is there not a release button so the whole ice maker slides out ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OH Not good. I need to try and fix it myself. I am trying to figure out how to remove it. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay your welcome. I will see if i can find anything else on this and if i do will send you the info. thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician