Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Amana bottom freezer abb1924deq: Refrigerator section became

Customer Question

Amana bottom freezer abb1924deq: Refrigerator section became warm and freezer very cold. Unplugged it, thawed it, cleaned coils but problem recurred within a few days. Freezer cools quickly but refrigerator stays warm.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

is the fan in the freezer running ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
fan in freezer runs
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay, can you feel any airflow from the vent in the back of the refrigerator section ? air should be comming through at the point where the arrow is in this diagram. is it? graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Minimal or no airflow at upper back area of refrigerator section
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay this is a damper issue, this opens and closes electronically, you need to check and make sure this is opening. remove part 7,8,6 and 14 and see if the damper is opening. if its not open replace the damper assembly. heres a link to the part. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Damper/67003903/1057232?modelNumber=ABB1924DEQ?RCAID=1000065 hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Currently the damper opens when the fridge is turned on
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay the damper is open but not much air comming through ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
some air is coming through. i dont know if it is enough. it is not nearly as much as in the freezer. is it possible the damper works intermittently?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
that is possible. is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer behind the food ? look real good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
currently looks clean. unit has been off for 16 hours with doors open.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay so no frost that you can see. Was there frost when you unplugged it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know. I completely defrosted and dried the refrigerator the first time this happened two or three weeks ago. It took a very long time for the refrigerator to cool on restart. I checked at that time and very little airflow in the back of the refrigerator. The freezer cooled quickly. Today the refrigerator is cooling more quickly, it seems to be working. I am concerned that the problem will recur as this is the third time in the past few weeks the refrigerator has stopped working. I thought it was something to do with a fan (or damper) or fan relay.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
To me it sounds like a defrost issue to be honest. these take about 24 hours to stabilize and it probably will but the issue will most likely come back in three weeks again. if the defrost is not working thats how long it takes for you to notice. in this particular refrigerator the most common failure is the defrost thermostat.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
this is clipped to the top of the evaporator coils inside the freezer behind the back panel . I would start be replacing that. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/12001937/1023500?modelNumber=ABB1924DEQ?RCAID=1000065 try that before anything else. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last thing--link to see how to get to thermostat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you need to take panel #4 out inside the freezer behind the food.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here