Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a Samsung 1 1/2 yr. old side by side refrigerator.

We have a Samsung 1 1/2 yr. old side by side refrigerator. We had a power outage for 24 hours. When the frig came on we noticed a strange smell from the frig part, not the freezer part. It smells like fermented wine. Our neighbor said to clean the drip pan. I went through the user manual and it doesn't show or mention a drip pan. First of all, is there a drip pan? We do not have any spoiled, strange food in the fridge. If not the drip pan, what could it be?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

do you have a model number ? look inside the refrigerator section on the side wall or the ceiling for a tag.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, give me a bit to look up some info on this, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have anything yet?
I cant bring up a diagram with the pan in it. pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the back bottom panel that covers the compressor. look underneath the refrigerator and you should see the drip pan under the coils. can you do that and let me know? there should be water in it. usually you can remove the pan though. the new refrigerators have the pan incorporated into the compressor area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband pulled the back off and the coils are sitting over a plastic tray that can not be removed. The cooling fan is attached as well. Their is a little water in the tray, but it does not smell bad. What next?

If it doesn't smell thats not the issue. how warm did the refrigerator get when it went off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
60 degrees at the max.
okay , thats enough to amplify any order that may have been present but you never really noticed when this was cold, what you need to do is place two or three boxes of baking soda in the refrigerator section and also place a bowl of coffee grounds in there also. leave them there for a few days and the odor will disappear, the odor is actually in the liner of the refrigerator. this you cannot clean but the coffee and the baking soda will remove the odor. this works really well try it.You'll be really surprised how well this works, hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean coffee grounds (after you brew) or coffee that is fresh and ground (before brewing)?
fresh coffee grounds. Its the best thing I've ever used. works Great and draws all the odors out.