Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

How do I get my kenmore oven door to unlock?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Kenmore c970-515132
okay perfect ! the only way to get this door open is to pull the oven away from the wall and unplug it. then on the back of the range is the door lock motor assembly, there is a rod that runs from the front latch hook to this motor assembly. you need to take the rod off to get the door unlocked.let me get you some diagrams, in the meantime heres a link to show you how to replace the lock assembly which you will need to do to fix this, the video will show you how to get to it and remove the lock assembly and this will allow you to get the door unlocked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I need to buy parts to fix this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, can the oven run without that latch, at least until I can get into town to buy the parts? We are at our cottage and haven limited access to stores, etc.
yes you will need the lock assembly shown in the video. you can order it at the link also. give me a few minutes to respond and I'll tell you how to get the oven running until the part comes in. if you reply before me it erases my reply so please wait until I reply back before replying again.
okay follow the video to get to the lock assembly.when you get the door open remove the motor on the latch assembly and turn the cam (the part the rod was connected to) until the switch that the cam hits pops out (its in the in position now) leave the motor off so you can use the oven until the new part comes in.
you can order the latch/lock motor assembly at the following link. hope this helps, the only thing I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done rather than rating me with a 1 or 2 smiley faces please use the (continue conversation) link and tell me what else I can do or what else you would like to know so that I can get you that information so I can improve my customer satisfaction rating. You may receive an email with my answer if so please sign back in and accept on the site itself. Its the only way I get paid for helping you. thank you and best wishes , Bryan