Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

I have a Whirlpool dryer about 18 months old that will not

I have a Whirlpool dryer about 18 months old that will not start. It is a Duet.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay do you have a model number of the unit so I can pull up a diagram of the dryer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have tried changing the settings and pushing the START buttom and holding.

I understand but I asked for the model number of the dryer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WED9400SZ1
Okay, couple questions. Does the dryer light come on when you open the door if yours has a light and do you have a meter to test for continuity/resistance and voltage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the light comes on inside. I do not have a meter. when i push the start button it beeps at me but the light on cycle changer just blinks green
Okay, it will be hard to check without a meter but if you feel safe jumpering wires to check we can do that. Otherwise I suggest you have the unit serviced if you do not have a meter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am really not comfortable messing with wires. I guess I will need to call a service technician. Do you know if this is a common problem for newer Whirlpool dryers?
It is a common problem with all dryers meaning that when it happens 90% of the time it is the same thing with all dryers. It is usually the thermal fuse and cycling thermostat which is only about $40 to replace both. So, if you know someone who is sort of a handy man/woman they can go on line and find out how to check and replace those parts for your dryer. They will need a meter for proper testing. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.