Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

I have whirlpool conquest side by side refrigerator. It makes

I have whirlpool conquest side by side refrigerator. It makes ice but it doesn't dispense. You can hear the motor running and see the shaft turning when the bucket is removed. With the ice bucket empty and siting in place, the auger doesn't turn you see it turning but it doesn't. How do I get ice to dispense from the door?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The coupler on the auger motor is broken and will need to be replaced. This coupler is what engages the auger in the bucket. You can verify this by turning the coupler by itself after the ice bucket has been removed. Try turning the coupler and see if it turns the motor shaft when you turn it. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see that part on my model.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you. Okay do you have a model number of the fridge? Also what do you mean by "you see it turning but it doesn't"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model number ED5LVAXWB00. I was trying to say that you see the auger trying to turn but it doesn't turn,sorry.
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay and thank you. You say the you can see the shaft turning like it should without the bucket?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, two things you need to do and hopefully this will correct the issue. First remove the bucket and turn it upside down. Look at the coupling at the bottom to make sure it isn't worn out and clean of debris. Second, since you have the bucket removed, on the shaft there is the little access cover held in by 2 screws (#21 on the diagram I am sending you). After you get that removed make sure that area is clean of debris. If there is debris (including ice buildup) in either one of those areas then you will not get a good seat with the bucket and the auger will not turn. Let me know how it goes.
WHIRLPOOL Refrigerator Motor and ice container Parts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The shaft is worn. I pull the shaft out and put it in the coupler and spin it with my hand it does nothing but slip, I then flip the shat over and try the opposite end there was a big difference. So If replaced my shaft and coupler I should be okay?
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
Yes absolutely go ahead and replace the shaft and coupler and you will be good to go. This tends to be the biggest issue with these type of ice dispensers. I am sending you a link that will contain the diagram again but it also contains the parts list with numbers. I am here for further assistance and thank you for your time and patience, Randy.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Whirlpool-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-ED5LVAXWB00/1198/0165000/W0908035/00005?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=ED5LVAXWB00
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.