Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag LAT9804AAM washer. Agitator does not activate in some

Maytag LAT9804AAM washer. Agitator does not activate in some cycles. This problem seems to vary in that wife plays with control knob and gets it to run. She reports that some spots work on some days and other spots on the control work on other days. When activated, agitator seems to work properly. What is wrong?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

if she moves the timer a click or two does it start ? or is it different cycles on the timer that don't work ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Generally, moving it a click or two does not cause it to start. She will select the approximate starting point in another cycle to get it to work. She says that the cycle that will work changes. Sometimes one cycle will work for a day or two, then another time it won't work, but a cycle that previously didn't work will work. Usually, when a cycle does not produce agitation, it just clicks through from fill to spin with no agitation.
okay , that is a timer issue, there are contacts in the timer that get burnt and sometimes they will work and others not. there is a main contact that is most likely the issue in it. you will need to order and replace the timer. eventually it will stop all together. heres a link to order the timer. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My primary purpose in using you was to trouble shoot the problem and try to determine if it is time for a new washer or to repair this one. I am a somewhat clumsy mechanic, is this a relatively simple part to replace?

Yes its not to bad to replace, there are screws along the top of the control panel you unplug the machine and take those out then tip the control panel forward, there are screws holding the timer. as far as the knob goes the very front of the knob pops off and theres a little C clip you slide off to remove the knob, the timer just plugs it so its pretty easy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Bryan, you have been a great help. I will attempt to make the repair myself.
okay , I will be here if you need me further, thanks , Bryan