The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Whirlpool Duet Washer, about 1 yr old. WFW9470WW01, Ser # XXXXX We

Whirlpool Duet Washer, about 1 yr old. WFW9470WW01, Ser # XXXXX
We keep getting a F21 code on the display. I took off the bottom cover and drained it via the large trap/plug near the pump, right in front center. Water came out and trap was clear with exception of two very small lego pieces. We then removed the drain hose from the back and blew through it and it pushed some water out that had been sitting in bottom of hose loop, but was then clear. Washer worked for one or two cycles and then seized up again with same code. Any ideas on what to do next? It has been working well for the past 9-10 months.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

First off if the unit is less than a year old you should call for service under the units warranty. They will repair it for free.

That known...

The diagnostics says to replace the pump if doing as you have doesn't resolve th eproblem.

I would like you to do one more test before you replace it though.

With the unit in a drain cycle measure the voltage going to the drain pump. Make sure it is 120vac. If it is less than that please let me know what it is. You may have a main control board issue.

If the voltage is up to snuff then go ahead and replace the pump.

The reason it ran good a couple times and then died again is anybodys guess. That is why I want you to confirm the 120 volts before you replace the pump.

Thank you for trusting me with your problems.

Please select a POSITIVE RATING (Ok Service or better) and a bonus is appreciated. This is how your professional receives credit for their time.
If for any reason the rating box is not visible, or you are unable to enter a rating, please let your professional know.
This is ment to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT tab if more information
is needed at any time BEFORE rating.
Please remember to ONLY rate an answer when you are 100% satisfied.
If you feel the need to rate Poor or Bad Service, please STOP and reply to your professional via the REPLY TO EXERT tab with
the issue you have. They will be happy to continue further and do everything they can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the main control board a known weakness in this machine?
For the most part no, but they can be. As new as your unit is it shouldnt be needing a pump either. The toys may have caused that though. If they jam the impellar for any legnth of time it can strain the pumpand cause it to fail prematurley.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good point. I think I'll try to track down the purchase paperwork and see if still in warranty, or if I bought an extended warranty. This machine is in our daughters home. If not in warranty, I'll probably pull the pump to see if something got beyond the trap and into the pump itself.

One more thing... I noticed when it was spinning and draining, there were some loud clicks happening, like relays pulling in or something, but louder than I owuld have expected. My daughter said they've always been loud. Does that sound normal to you?

The relays on this unit are not loud. They are pretty small as relays go. More than likely there is an underwire or something like that stuck in one of the holes in the tub and it is hitting occasionally. Use a strong flashlight and check the tub holes real good. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to retreive the wire.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances