J1204
J1204, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  5 Years servicing major home appliances, specializing in washers and dryers. 7+ years diagnosing electrical circuits
52580232

I have a 2006 Samsung Dryer Model # XXXXX S/N 230754BLB00022F.

I have a 2006 Samsung Dryer Model # XXXXX S/N 230754BLB00022F. When I turn it on the gas heater lights normally, but the flame goes out with 10 - 15 seconds. Which component should I replace?

Gary Rigdon
XXX-XXX-XXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  J1204 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, ill be glad to try and help you with that. Can you try disconnecting the vent from the back of the dryer and run it, see if the burner stays on longer, thanks, josh
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Already disconnected the vent hose from the back, dryer still shuts off gas flame within 10 - 15 seconds of starting up.
Expert:  J1204 replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I assume with the vent off you were getting good airflow from out of the back of the dryer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will verify that there is good airflow from the dryer & let you know. Thanks!!
Expert:  J1204 replied 2 years ago.
No problem, let me know what you find,josh
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Josh, Took the vent hose off and ran the dryer, and now the gas isn't igniting at all. The dryer runs about 10 seconds and shuts down with an Error Code HE (Heating Element). There appears to be good airflow from the dryer exhaust. Acts the same with the vent hose off or on. - Gary
Expert:  J1204 replied 2 years ago.
Is it an he or te, most samsungs don't have an he code but they do have a te which alot of times doesn't look like a t at all. This is thermistor code, which can affect heating and will cause the dryer to shut off very quickly.I know you said you ordered a new heater sensor, im guessing it was probably the switch on the side of the burner housing right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The errror code says hE which says check Thermister resisitance. It definitely looks like a lower case h, not a lower case t. The igniter is now not lighting the gas at all, before it would light but not stay lit.
Expert:  J1204 replied 2 years ago.
Yeah sorry you are right I was thinking washers, they have the te. The thermistor being open or out of range is what sets this code(not an uncommon problem on samsung dryers). More than likely that's what was causing your heating issue as well,since the thermistor is basically acting as a cycling thermostat would on an older dryer. Replacing the thermistor should get you fixed uo. Josh
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Josh. That sounds like the answer. Appreciate your help. I gave you an "Excellent Service" on the Green Button.
Expert:  J1204 replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all any other questions just let me know. Glad I could help. Josh
J1204, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 5 Years servicing major home appliances, specializing in washers and dryers. 7+ years diagnosing electrical circuits