Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

We have a 2006 Kenmore Coldspot (Model #106.55382400) which

We have a 2006 Kenmore Coldspot (Model #106.55382400) which has stopped making ice for first time since we've owned it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Loosen the 2 screws over the top of the ice maker and remove the bottom screw under it if there is one there. Check the tube that comes through the rear wall of the freezer, is that tube clogged with ice?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see 2 screws.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes there are holders, whichever it is they will be in the area of the blue arrows in the picture below.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot see the ice maker from the view exhibited. I'm looking at a white cap (appears as left end of your picture?) w/instructions. Neither do I see or feel the caps you referenced.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok there is another way, pull the refrigerator out. There is a water line that runs down the back wall behind the freezer. Follow that line to its connection point. You may need to remove the lower rear cover to get to it. Have a bowl with you and a towel plus a 5/16 and 1/4 inch nut driver. Unplug the refrigerator, remove the blue water valve back there that line connects too. Then remove that line and catch the water in the bowl. Dry what you miss with the towel. Then blow air through that tube. Were you able to blow air through that tube?

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This could take awhile;do we stay connected, etc?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes I will be here several more hours, please take your time and be safe.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife just informed me there was water in the icemaker which is now frozen but the arm will n ot move to where it flips the ice out.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Tape the door light switch so the lights stay off for a while. 5 minutes or so, then check and see if it has moved. Also is the arm in the down position?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Light goes off when we close the door(need to avoid defrosting freezer items) and the arm is down. I'll wait 5 minutes. We wonder if it may be the motor/movement device in the ice maker?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
This is what I would do. Tape the door light switch, the ice maker is tied to the switch. When the lights go out that is only half of the switch. It still has to make the secondary contact which is totally separate from the lights. Leave it a few hours and see if it makes ice. Sometimes when a switch gets weak it will do that.

Save this page to your favorites so you can return later. You can click that and return right here, let me know what happens.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Taped switch, closed door. Water dispenser on door appears to be working fine.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Did any ice dump yet? No rush I am just asking.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None yet; water dispenser is working. Go ahead and run your fee on the credit card. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to try, I want you to have enough help to fix it. Its not fair for me to ask for money unearned.

If the ice maker has filled but not dumped and the freezer temperature is normal you will need to replace the ice maker module. The ice maker module is the part under the white endcap you face when you open the freezer door. Its about 4 by 4 inches. That comes off. There are some slots under the bottom of the ice maker and over the top of the ice maker. They are located between the black and white part where they meet. It pops right off.

Under that are 4 screws, remove those screws and the tan/brown part under that comes out. Replace that part and it should work fine as long as the freezer is as cold as normal. The part is linked below and be sure to unplug the refrigerator before changing it. There is a picture there so you can see what it looks like. You might shop around and find an ice maker whole for near that price.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Module/W10190935/1469018?RCAID=1000064

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.